Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Hidden features in AC12 doors and windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone seen what appears to be an hidden feature in the script of AC 12 doors and windows?

The way I see it, GS is bringing Demo/new capabilities to ArchiCad.

Maybe next version?
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
That might be a nice feature for remodelers (like myself).
But wouldn't you still need a new wall and demo wall to place in?
Don't see how you could have both in the same position, in the same wall?
As many times, even though it is a different window, it is close to
the same location, if not exactly the same location.
Bier
__archiben
Booster
Bier wrote:
But wouldn't you still need a new wall and demo wall to place in?r
depends how they handle the technology right? it could be a switch in the model view options, or even a simple visibility tag?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be nice to have something (soon) to shut up those Revit guys...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't put too much into this. It may be a sign of things to come but from what I see it isn't pointing to anything major by itself. Library parts can be programmed to do all sorts of things. For a D/E/N system to work it would have to apply to all elements and not just those parts that happen to have the right code.

To really work properly elements would have be tagged with dates of installation and demolition with appropriate changes in their appearance since we are really no longer talking of a snapshot of the building but a process that occurs over time.

As far as shutting up the Revit guys, I would rather have features that work (ie fix those that don't and only add ones that do) than top have another half hearted, me too effort like the story markers in elevations.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
I wouldn't put too much into this. It may be a sign of things to come but from what I see it isn't pointing to anything major by itself. Library parts can be programmed to do all sorts of things. For a D/E/N system to work it would have to apply to all elements and not just those parts that happen to have the right code.
Do you think that GS would take the effort to include in all (or most) of AC library parts these variables, albeit deactivated, if they did not meant business? Knowing too well that the competition makes a big fuss about their capability to produce Demo drawings automatically?

The mystery, for me, is that they would include such variables in the objects and not use them. Sounds as if they intended to, but like other novelties, just pulled it out right before the deadline because Beta would not debug it, and did not have the time to correct the windows/doors.

It is very atypical for GS to show their game in such a blatant way...
Matthew wrote:
As far as shutting up the Revit guys, I would rather have features that work (ie fix those that don't and only add ones that do) than top have another half hearted, me too effort like the story markers in elevations.
Me too. But, as we have a business to run, so does GS.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
Sounds as if they intended to, but like other novelties, just pulled it out right before the deadline because Beta would not debug it, and did not have the time to correct the windows/doors.
Hey! Knock in the wood three times!
Anonymous
Not applicable
The alternative would be that they will release a 12.5 with D/E/N capabilities. That is something that has not happened in quite some time...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Do you think that GS would take the effort to include in all (or most) of AC library parts these variables, albeit deactivated, if they did not meant business? Knowing too well that the competition makes a big fuss about their capability to produce Demo drawings automatically?

The mystery, for me, is that they would include such variables in the objects and not use them. Sounds as if they intended to, but like other novelties, just pulled it out right before the deadline because Beta would not debug it, and did not have the time to correct the windows/doors.

It is very atypical for GS to show their game in such a blatant way...
Yes and no. A lot of future features show up in the special menu before they become active functions of the program, and the curved wall method appeared in GDL before it became available to the wall tool.
Matthew wrote:
Me too. But, as we have a business to run, so does GS.
I would very much like to see demo-existing-new functions (and by extension 4D simulation) built into ArchiCAD for all elements. I'm just not sure that adding parameters to the library parts is the way to go about this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Yes and no. A lot of future features show up in the special menu before they become active functions of the program, and the curved wall method appeared in GDL before it became available to the wall tool.
On the other hand, afaik, curved complex profiled walls did get stuck on 10 because they did not pass the Beta test.

But then, as a non beta tester I am free to speculate

Still, the question remains. Why are those variables tucked in there?