Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Lineweights: Display versus Output

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a reason why lineweight is ignored? I adjusted my pen weight for pen #201 to 3mm - I need a bold line for graphics purposes - but when I place the drawing on a layout and publish as PDF, the lineweight is lost!

Does anyone know why?
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another Image... this is the drawing properties from the layout book - indicating which pen set is used....
image3.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the Pen Set list from the Attributes Manager....
Anonymous
Not applicable
One thing I may have overlooked..... notice that the line on screen is 'pink' and the pen #201 is 'red'. I should note that I drew the original line using the mark-up tool, and then changed the line after drawing it.

I will check to see if this is the source of the problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a screenshot of the Mark-up tool dialog box... I should note that I haven't used this tool before...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Problem solved.... the mark-up tool was the issue... as you can see, I drew a new line without the markup tool, and the result is the proper lineweight. The image is from the resulting PDF.

So does anyone know why the Mark-up tool does not translate lineweights? Or rather, is it possible to edit the mark-up so that the proper lineweight is used?

Thanks...
image6.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tested the theory by drawing a new rectangle using a heavy line, and using the markup tool to 'convert' the line to a 'correction'. The result is that the line i drew loses it pen weight and color.

So I guess this is now a discussion about setting the mark-up tools pen weight assignments? Is this possible?
Karl Ottenstein
No, you saw 'correct' behavior. Elements drawn with the markup tool will display with the markup style's pens until they are converted to normal elements. This is a 'feature'. 😉

I've been frustrated with the 3D appearance of markup elements - similar kind of thing as you've run into.

Might be worth posting a wish that we have a Model View Option that permits Markup Elements to be displayed with with markup attributes or with their own attributes. Would make using markup for design alternatives much more useful.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
No, you saw 'correct' behavior. Elements drawn with the markup tool will display with the markup style's pens until they are converted to normal elements. This is a 'feature'. 😉

I've been frustrated with the 3D appearance of markup elements - similar kind of thing as you've run into.

Might be worth posting a wish that we have a Model View Option that permits Markup Elements to be displayed with with markup attributes or with their own attributes. Would make using markup for design alternatives much more useful.

Cheers,
Karl
I'm new to using the Mark-up tool, so I can't say what would be a benefit or not. However, am I missing something, or is it not possible to assign different pens weights/colors to the Mark-up notation items? If not, that just seems bizarre.
Karl Ottenstein
LINZ wrote:
am I missing something, or is it not possible to assign different pens weights/colors to the Mark-up notation items? If not, that just seems bizarre.
No, that's the way it works... guess I didn't explain clearly the first time. You can and should assign all attributes - pens, materials, layers, etc - as normal - but the elements will display with the markup pens as long as they are markup items. Only upon conversion to 'normal' items via the markup palette will they show with the assigned pens.

You can create as many markup classes as you want though. So, if you need such revision clouds and a markup item feels like the right way to do it to you (vs a revision layer, etc), then just go to Options > Element Attributes and define a markup class for just clouds that uses your fat pen. Since your screenshot suggests that this is a permanent part of the document set, personally I would not recommend using markup, but rather layer control. For example, I've never tested what happens to markup items if you save as a DWG or IFC...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erich
Contributor
Linz, Do you have the print hairline option turned on perhaps?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K