Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Instructions? Guides? ArchiCAD11 Australia

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi to all, new user here and new to the whole computer drawing experience. I'm a Mac user and have just downloaded ArchiCAD 11. Please!!! is there a book out there... on line training tutorials are useless. Sorry guys but really a good book is required. My use is exclusively 2D can I get some useful information about starting out. I have read that the Martens book on Archi CAD was less than helpful for newbies. Can someone tell be about the 'Step by step guide for ArchiCAD 11? by M. Simmons? and can I get it in Australia? Thanks everyone, all suggestions welcome.
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
The distributor of Archicad in Australia thinks Australians can't read, so they make some wonderful multi-media: Ask them for "Virtual Tutor"

But the best thing is to sit for an hour with an old hand. Let him show you the rope tool. Plenty of users in Melbourne.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Dwight, very sound advice of course but the few cad users I know use either Microstation or Auto cad. The problem here and pretty much everywhere is that the schools and Universities use purely Microsoft applications and the students receive no encouragement to try anything else. Understandably few can be bothered to learn two systems. Re books here in Melbourne... about all I can locate are the Marten's versions and I have one sitting on my desk at the moment. No offence to the authors but it is of little if any use to new operators. Sorry Graphisoft but those online tutorials are infuriating.
Dwight
Newcomer
Go ahead and offend them.
There must be a user group.
You might look at the Forum member list filtered by location and approach locals for help directly.
Are you aware of:

http://www.cadgarage.com/nevituforar11.html

Seems idiotic to order an Australian product from those Excited States, but there you go - stock is stock.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dwight....is it an Aussie product? well what ever it is I am happy to get it here but I would have thought there was a slightly cheaper option.. anyway I left a message at the local Graphisoft office earlier today and will see what they have to say??? still waiting. So excuse my ignorance but is Artlantis a modeling tool? or something more sophisticated (told you I was a newbie).

It's probably beyond my early 2D efforts but hey at least it is a printed version.

Thanks Mate,

ohn
Dwight
Newcomer
Artlantis is a rendering tool that takes Archicad models - superior to the built-in rendering provided in Archicad. Of course, "Superior" is being modest since Artlantis has automatic exposure, fast rendering, batch rendering, a heliodon and quick entourage import. Find out: get the demo at:

http://www.artlantis.com/index.php?page=download/demo/index

You are an idiot to make "2D efforts" with Archicad. Start immediately drawing with the wall tool and see volumetric results instantly - use the tutorial to build confidence. You don't need to be tentative with Archicad since editing the model is so easy.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dwight, yes...I think I have been viewing the concept incorrectly. But my use is essentially in the measured drawing of historic buildings. Thank you for the input. Re. Virtual Tutor... I spoke a few minutes ago with the Graphisoft office in another state (mine could not help). The guy was very helpful and sang the praises of the Virtual Tutor. He was unsure about its availability in Melbourne. Not sure what he meant but it may be they are no longer making the Virtual Tutor available, oerhaps they are preferring to run training classes (my thoughts and not his). I think the price for four days here was something around $1,400. (Australian). Anyway I will keep plugging away.

John
Dwight
Newcomer
Did you see the link i posted to CadGarage in Boston?

Explore that option.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
melbournehouse wrote:
Thank you Dwight, very sound advice of course but the few cad users I know use either Microstation or Auto cad. The problem here and pretty much everywhere is that the schools and Universities use purely Microsoft applications and the students receive no encouragement to try anything else. Understandably few can be bothered to learn two systems. Re books here in Melbourne... about all I can locate are the Marten's versions and I have one sitting on my desk at the moment. No offence to the authors but it is of little if any use to new operators. Sorry Graphisoft but those online tutorials are infuriating.
I don't think you are talking of the same tutorials, the online tutorials proposed by graphisoft are just good just to introduce you to the tools...and I do agree with the infuriating part...

On the other hand, "Virtual Tutor" tutorials are very good ! the only thing is that they are pretty expensive ( around $100 aud ) but its worth having them! http://www.archicadtutorials.com
have a look in youtube for archicad, it can be useful sometimes...

good luck!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!