BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Zermatt [and in 2009: Virtual Building Explorer]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anybody heard some news about the zermatt engine? We know it sort of stopped beeing developed any further but any idea if there is still a future for this product?

Thanks Carsten
142 REPLIES 142
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi gents, I'm kinda new here, but I thought I'd chime in.

I'm using Vitruvian Studio with the Cortona plugin. It works very well, but crashes on large files (400mb+), and doesn't import textures correctly (or AC doesn't export correctly - I'm not sure). I always have to re-adjust the scale of the textures in Vitruvian. Other than that it's very easy to use and the results are pretty good once you adjust the lighting and textures. You will need a very fast processor and graphics card if you want a decent framerate for more complex models. There is no way to adjust the field of view, it seems to be fixed at 60º.

The output isn't quite as pretty as Zermatt (I didn't buy Zermatt, only checked out the demos). Unfortunately the company folded before I was able to purchase it.

Cheers
Simon
Anonymous
Not applicable
Simon wrote:
...... There is no way to adjust the field of view, it seems to be fixed at 60º. ...
In Vitruvian Studio , you have to use the "Camera Tab" menù to change the Field of View, as well as Navigation Type, Speed, Visibility Limit, Avatar - Collision Distance, Avatar - Sight's Height and Avatar - Max Rise (to step over).
KeesW
Advocate
What's happened to Eon Zermatt? I can't find any current cost and availability data.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
What's happened to Eon Zermatt? I can't find any current cost and availability data.
See the second post on this thread.
"ANNOUNCEMENT
Zermatt is no longer supported or maintained
Due to our inability to properly maintain the software and provide service to customers, it has been decided that Zermatt will no longer be developed, maintained or supported. Current license owners will still be able to activate and use the current versions of their product via the reqistration dialog."
It would be really good if someone else picked this up and continued development.
Rakela Raul
Participant
http://www.righthemisphere.com/
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Zermatt is back.

After months of periodically checking their website and seeing the "...no longer supported or maintained" message, i was pleasantly suprised to note that a new version has been issued (3.0) which is apparently a free upgrade to 2.0 users. ver. 3.0 is still in beta stage and has some revised features and interface, some for the better others just, lts say, different from before and not necesarily an "improvement" but hopefully some of these items will be sorted out in subsequent upgrades. It's still a very straight forward and effective presentation and "diagnostic" tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great news.

Although, at €200, it is a little on the expensive side.

Makes you wonder why Graphisoft does not include such a software for free, like VICO does with its 5D Presenter.
http://www.vicosoftware.com/Products/5D_Presenter/tabid/46274/Default.aspx
Anonymous
Not applicable
Pleasantly surprised to see this back again! Wasn't it more expensive before? I would have said 200 euros was fairly reasonable for a 'commercial' product, TBH.

Firstly, I hope they have sorted their customer support problems.

It would be nice to actually hear from the developer more often, be it just a progress report, or plans for the future. It seems odd to never actively promote your product anywhere or have a presence on your main customers forums in order to gauge interest, or even tell anyone your website has been relaunched!

Anyway, having 'played' with the example presentations my initial impressions are fairly good. They run very fast on my machine (from around 130fps on the smallest model, to 70fps on the most complex of the four) and so is extremely smooth. The lighting quality is similar to before but there appears to be no radiance type lighting yet, so the lighting level is fairly uniform. I think it would make a big difference if there was actually subtle changes in lighting levels the further away something was from the light source. The shadows are still just as ugly though! I've seen smoother sawblades.

I noticed there is a stereo view option which could be a nice touch. I will have to find some red/green specs to try it out.

It would be nice to see more textures used on their examples. Many of the textures, especially the walls and doors, are just a plain colour which when combined with the flat lighting give the spaces little sense of scale. And I think the geometry needs tidying up a bit. There are no end of little errors and bits missing all over the place! Maybe I'm just being picky!

I'd like to see some form of anti-aliasing introduced to reduce the jagged lines also. It would probably kill the framerate sadly!

Still, it's good to have it back. Best of luck to Joakim!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
I would have said 200 euros was fairly reasonable for a 'commercial' product, TBH.
Looks like they thought so too. Now it´s € 465,00...

Sad there is no Mac version.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
Looks like they thought so too. Now it´s € 465,00...
Now up to € 495.00

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!