Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

rotate library parts

Anonymous
Not applicable
Pardon me if this has been asked before, but I could not find it searching the database:

when placing an object (library part) is there a method to allow it to rotate freely, according to mouse movement while placing? I have a situation where I need to pace several library parts, and they are all at different angles. It is a real pain to place then have to rotate. From my Autocad days, I recall that one could click the insertion point, then rotate the part to the desired angle. I thought I recalled doing this in Archicad, but I cannot find a method, toggle, check box, anything that will allow it to happen.

Also, I long for dynamic preview of ALL library parts!

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
never mind!!!!

I am brain dead this morning. Still want true dynamic preview though!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rip wrote:
Still want true dynamic preview though!
It could stand some improvement but there is a preview pane in the settings dialog.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rip wrote:
when placing an object (library part) is there a method to allow it to rotate freely, according to mouse movement while placing? ... I thought I recalled doing this in Archicad, but I cannot find a method, toggle, check box, anything that will allow it to happen.

Thanks!

I'm glad you figured it out, but I'm still looking for the answer. And now, based on your second post, I'm feeling a bit of a fool for not being able to find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geometry method in info box... (you want 2nd from left)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aha! Very spiffy.

Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Now can someone tell me how to achieve similar success rotating objects through the z axis? Does this require writing script and if so is there a simple approach for the uninitiated?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Cigraph has made a (free) plugin for rotating objects freely.

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
seamor101 wrote:
Now can someone tell me how to achieve similar success rotating objects through the z axis? Does this require writing script and if so is there a simple approach for the uninitiated?
OBJECTiVE provides a tool which makes rotating objects in any axis as easy as the built-in rotation tool. Referring to the attached image:
  • 1) Select any (GDL) object in the floor plan (or in a section/elevation window) and select "OBJECTiVE/Tools/Rotate"
    2) Define a rotation axis and start/end angles, much as you would do for 2D rotation (you can use the Coordinates palette and/or Tracker too)
    3) The object is rotated (shown in plan and 3D window), and hotspots are placed on the 3D body for easy snapping. There is no need to mess about resaving objects for this to work.
For more info, take a look at: http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
This issue of rotating objects not only about the "Z" axis
comes up again and again and there have been at least
three work arounds offered in this forum. One, edit the
3D script with rotx and roty transformation commands,
but unless the 2D script is also edited, the 2D symbol
will not be correct. Two, obtain the Cigraph plug-in
"ArchiRotate" which, even though Free, involves obtaining
a Cigraph license. Three, purchase "OBJECTiVE" which is
an excellent add-on/plug-in but is not inexpensive.

Realizing there was a call for the ability to rotate objects
and being inspired by Karl Ottenstein's "skewer.gsm",
I wrote a very simple library part that rotates a library part
in three axes. It is not fancy, it has it's problems, but its Free
and I offer it here for what it is worth. See Attached.
Peter Devlin