BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Window problems, AC12 (bugs?)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can someone else confirm these problems (bugs?)

First just a grip. I need a flat arch top fixed window, WHICH THERE ARE NONE! The "W ARCH CASE 12" (It could pass as a fixed) doesn't have an option to adjust the shoulder height, but for some strange reason the "W ARCH HEAD 12" does have the option to adjust the shoulder height (BUT ITS A SINGLE HUNG!) And the "W EYEBROWS FIX 12" could pass as flat arch top even though it really is more like an eliptical archtop, but once you start adjusting the shoulder height and the curve radius, the sash gets all out of whack, visually (this I think is a bug, and very easy to reproduce if you start messing with the settings). Also no matter what reveal and closure settings I put it at, it adds this thick jamb the thickness of the wall that I can't get rid of, even if the frame thickness is set to 4" for example.

Second, I need a recessed splayed arch top window. None of the v12 arch top windows will splay in elev or 3d view, only in plan view does it look splayed. The "W ARCH HEAD 12", "W ARCH CASE 12", "W ARCH CASE TRANSOM 12" and the "W EYEBROWS FIX 12" head , jambs or even the sill will not splay. I can have the exact same settings on a standard fixed or casement etc and the splay displays just fine in elev and 3d, but on all archtops it just won't work.

And don't even get me started about door thresholds, most of these threshold and sill types aren't even "real world" or realistic, at least not in the US. But here is an example of one problem (a bug?), if I place a 2" thick threshold, the threshold is not placed under the door panel, it actually runs through the door panel. But if I set the threshold type to "extended both sides" then the door panel raises to sit on the threshold, which is correct. All other threshold type settings show incorrectly. (threshold runs through the door panel)

I don't like it when I want to place an object(s) only to find out it doesn't perform or display correctly like it should. Then I spend a LOT more time trying to just make it work so I can get the job done, but I still can't because there is a bug that GS didn't or couldn't find, which they should have.

I'm just a little agrivated at the moment, actually all day today because of this, lots of waisted time, finding GS mistakes.

Jim
5 REPLIES 5
Chazz
Enthusiast
I know you shouldn't have to. Good windows and doors should come in a package that costs this much but do you want to b!tch or do you want to work? I just use Door&Window Builder and it can pretty much make any window or door you are going to run into. Let's run thorough the list of pain, shall we?
  • Expensive and a hassle to maintain at upgrade time? Yup.
    Hard to use? Yup.
    Complex to edit a single door/window? Kinda.
    Bugs? Oh yeah.
    Not fully compliant with Interactive Schedules? Check.
But you will never again complain that you can't make a window or door.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I have read some of your previous posts about DWB in a search. Its tempting to get DWB but I think that dealing with DWB's own problems and not to mention no integration with interactive schedules, I'm just hoping that GS fixes these and other problems.

Thanks
Chazz
Enthusiast
I know.... I'm like a broken record.

The incompatibility with Interactive schedules is only partial. You can still use IS to schedule most of the standard parameters, just not all the custom ones you spent so much time entering into the B&WB part. At least that was the way is was with B&WB 11 --it may be better with B&WB 12. And to Cadimage's credit, they do give you a scheduling tool that does things the standard AC schedules don't.

It's a bummer to have to choose between two devils (the one you know and the one you don't) but in the end I'm at least fairly happy with the decision I've made. Good luck.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jim,
Could not agree with you more on: Door Thresholds:
"And don't even get me started about door thresholds, most of these threshold and sill types aren't even "real world" or realistic, at least not in the US."
You sure hit that virtual nail on the head:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=126542&highlight=#126542
Think about it GS.
Doors and windows area really,really,really important!
Don't let Revit beat you to it.......
Bier
Brett Brown
Advocate
Bier wrote:

Don't let Revit beat you to it.......

I think they already have. From what I have seen (perhaps Mathew or Tom can confirm) you make your own thresholds etc the way YOU want, and not be reliant on GS or Cadimage to supply what you don't want or use.

Perhaps a way for us, could be the facility to use custom profiles in the windows and doors for thresholds,frames etc. Unfortunately GS and Cadimage haven't made a DW tool that is universal. Revit's way seems universal to me because the user can make what he uses in his or her area, themselves.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Learn and get certified!