BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

3d print

Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Anyone out there who has experience in producing a physical 3d model using his 3d ArchiCAD model?
How was it transformed to STL files?
What was the behavior of the various elements of AC (walls, windows , doors) in the 3d printing??

Thank you in advance
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable
Petros wrote:
I am in the middle of a big project so I did not have the time to thank you for your answers.
When I 'll find the time I will print a test 3d model here in thessaloniki and post some pics along with the feedback of the procedure.

Petros
Did you ever have any luck creating a stl file?
What was your process?
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
unfortunately no Jeff....
My team-mates back then insisted on doing a hand made (wooden) model. To be honest the result was pretty good although time and money consuming.
anyway, I 'm pretty sure that some time in the future I will (once again) blame myself for not testing the procedure.

cheers

petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Petros,

This is a priority for me.

I am currently experimenting with the best way to create an stl from a archicad model.

This is because I have partnered with www.modellabs.com

If you have any research or ideas lets talk and put our heads together for the best solution. Once we have a solution, we can print one of your models at a very good price, to try it out.

Thanks,
Jeff
Thomas Holm
Booster
Jeff wrote:
I am currently experimenting with the best way to create an stl from a archicad model.
This may be far-fetched, and I haevn't tested it myself. But Rhino is supposed to support a lot of flie formats, among them 3DS and STL.

There is a free Mac beta of Rhino. Perhaps you could try that, save from Archicad in 3DS format and export from Rhino as STL?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Gary Lawes
Participant
Petros,

Rather than .stl try using VRML straight from ArchiCAD, you should find that this is perfect depending on the equipmant being used by Model Labs. If they are using the Zcorp printer which it looks as if they are, then VRML is perfect and ArchiCAD does it superbly

Gary
AC 17
Windows 7 Pro
Intel i7-2600
16GB RAM
Thomas Holm
Booster
I've got this problem too now.
Trying to find a useful way to export a 3D file for 3D "printing" of a physical model, I'm finding that Archicad can't output the 3D STL format the Zcorp printer wants firsthand, and that secondly they can't read the 3D VRML files I save from AC12. What gives? Any advice?
Has anybody found an easy way to convert any Archicad 3D output to STL?
Gary Lawes
Participant
As I mentioned previously, from ArchiCAD export as a VRML file, much better than an stl file as if bring all textures with it. Works superbly. I know as I have the Zcorp 430 and ArchiCAD.
If you need any models doing we would be happy to help out.
AC 17
Windows 7 Pro
Intel i7-2600
16GB RAM
Gary Lawes
Participant
Sorry Thomas, Just spotted that you are having trouble with the VRML files from AC12, I use with AC11 with no problems, try dropping one into AC11 and exporting from there, or send me your VRML file from AC12 and I will test it for you.
AC 17
Windows 7 Pro
Intel i7-2600
16GB RAM
Thomas Holm
Booster
This is the file. It's not ready for 3D printing yet. (Not ready for anything, really, just testing if the AC12 VRML export is OK?)
And should I "write vertex normals"? I did, in this file.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Oh, and a question: Do you know of any decent VRML viewer for MacOSX? The only one I've found that doesn't crash on my MacBookPro is this one, and it navigates crappily.

Octaga Player
http://www.octaga.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=40

FreeWRL, Instant Player, twirl etc. don't work. At least not with a file this big.
Learn and get certified!