BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

GS clearly does not take the residential architect seriously

rm
Expert
This is going to be a RANT. So if you are a full time GS apologist, you might want to move on.

This week I upgraded one of my dongles to AC 12, only one! For the majority of my last 15 years of using AC, I have used it on upper bracket residential projects. During that time I have purchased numerous 3rd party libraries for windows, doors, and furniture....because the AC library has had the same pieces of _ _ _ _ for the last 2000 years!!!

This while applications for significantly less money, mostly on the PC side - darn-it, have had features like cabinets that heal themselves when arranged in the plan, windows that actually don't have trim problems and are based on real US manufacturers, doors that don't have trim problems and are based on real US manufacturers, furniture that doesn't look like a kid with a crayon drew them, extrusions, lathes, and sweeps that can be rotated and adjust in 3D, like Objective can do. Obviously the objects should be location friendly, I don't mean to suggest every country should adopt the US objects as standard.....OK, done being politically correct.

I have personally been told by the GS CEO when v9 was out, that by issuance of v11 there would be a "new" and well sorted out library that would be "thoroughly" tested. BS.....I have v12, and I found problems with the windows after working with them less than 5 minutes.....see the attached image, so you know I'm not blowing smoke.

What the heck does it take for GS to build a decent library? Let me tell you, I will have to go kicking and screaming to Revit, but if thats what it takes to access a decent library, I will consider it. Currently you can't access anything on the Google 3D warehouse directly into AC12, and there is NO indication from GS when we will see the plug-in again, if at all. And if your on the Mac side, forget it, you don't have a prayer as the plug-in only worked on the Windows side of AC.

Obviously, if I have stuck with this program since v4.1 I think it is reasonably good. What I find inexcusable is GS willingness to keep putting out lousy standard library sets. In the world of BIM and Photorealistic renderings, GS should be providing a solid realistic library set.....they are not even close!!!!!

I have forwarded the bug to GS through tech support. I am shocked I found the bugs with the windows in less than 5 minutes of using the AC12. God knows what I will find when I dig in further with the doors.

For what I just spent on an upgrade, I am absolutely torqued at how lacking this library still is. The truth is, even 3rd party libraries are very limited - they hardly exist. Clearly GS has not been successful in getting buy-in from US manufacturers to create libraries the way AutoDesk has with Revit. While there are some very generous users out there that give away some very good objects ( THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU ) the majority of GDL objects available just are not realistic looking or don't stay current with AC.

I have suggested this before, and I will say it again. GS there are some really smart, good GDL gurus out there. Get off your wallet and hire these people to ONLY design objects or work with manufacturers of real Plumbing Fixtures, Light Fixtures, Doors, Windows, Furniture, etc....and pay them to test the objects thoroughly. I'm guessing a 1 million dollar investment in the libraries would yield something far superior to what you provide now....I guess 50 dollars might do that as well

.....hey Mr. Gallello - you getting any of this?
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
123 REPLIES 123
Anonymous
Not applicable
Windows and doors are only a part of the library conditions - try using things like the straight ramp that does not allow for percentage coordination between the various sections - you cannot have one slope in the bottom transition and a different one at the top - and the changes do not allow for typical vertical curves at either point. Stairs are still too limited in their presentation and do not show the rails correctly on the plans yet - no joinery in landings etc.

Oh well, having b-----ed since 4.16 I too have started to become discouraged.

Lew Bishop
MBP 17 OS X latest AC 12 etc.
rm
Expert
Rick wrote:

My view is that GS has only minor interest in developing the library, so I have minimum expectations.
Rick,

I have seen your work, and it is very well done, design sensitivity and documentation. But with all do respect, by not holding GS feet to the fire and keep them accountable for the poor libraries they continue to publish, version after version, we will never get a good library from them or an increased third party library catalogue.

More than any other library part types, doors and windows are probably the most commonly used parts throughout any building design, be that residential or commercial. GS has just completely dropped the ball on this concept.

I have heard the promises from GS, resellers, and the like....."THIS version of AC is the MOST tested ever"...."we will NEVER put out another version like v_ _ again"!

When the long time users of this application start jumping to Revit, GS might want to take note.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Rick Thompson
Expert
rm wrote:
But with all do respect, by not holding GS feet to the fire and keep them accountable for the poor libraries they continue to publish, version after version, we will never get a good library from them or an increased third party library catalogue.
I do agree that any and all feedback should be directed at GS. I guess I am a bit disillusioned after so many years of fussing about my pet issues and still no developmental energies focused there. (Calc functions mainly). So, I am glad when people express these issues. I am just a bit tired myself after so many years of being bummed with the "new features" that don't help my residential work, and unfortunately, I don't see my needs matching GS's marketing needs. I try to keep it in perspective that just 10 -15 years ago I was drawing everything by hand, and now I can accomplish a work flow I never dreamed of being able to do in the 90's. I guess at this time I am happy the glass is half full! But yes, I like seeing the expressed frustrations in a constructive manner, it never hurts, and can only help, and I will continue to fuss myself.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Djordje
Ace
While your frustration is understood, you have to keep in mind that ArchiCAD is for all, not only US residential architects - whatever your dealer wants you to believe. It is hard to be all to all, as the old saying says. You can keep some people happy some of the time, not all of them all the time.

Your complaints might be best aimed at GSUS, as they know best what percentage of the licenses is serving the residential industry. Advanced users like Ransom Ratcliff - the first that springs to mind - did enourmous amounts of work in order to bring the libraries, pen sets, and other critical issues to the liking of the US users.

The road to perfection, if it exists at all, is in the interaction and the feedback, as well as the hard work put forward by yourselves too - like Rick did with his calculation templates, and others with theirs.

Be always aware that the makes of the software do NOT necessarily use it daily, and are definitely not in the throes of the architectural practice. Therefore, we must informatively say what we want, and document it. Don't assume that a programmer knows what a 2x4 is. He will presume it is eight.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
rm
Expert
Djordje wrote:
While your frustration is understood, you have to keep in mind that ArchiCAD is for all, not only US residential architects - whatever your dealer wants you to believe.
Agreed, that IS why I wrote what I did when I started this post. However to be clear, my reseller has never tried to get me to believe AC was "only for US residential architects".
rm wrote:
Obviously the objects should be location friendly, I don't mean to suggest every country should adopt the US objects as standard.....

Djordje wrote:
Your complaints might be best aimed at GSUS, as they know best what percentage of the licenses is serving the residential industry. Advanced users like Ransom Ratcliff - the first that springs to mind - did enourmous amounts of work in order to bring the libraries, pen sets, and other critical issues to the liking of the US users.
Again, we agree, that is why I wrote this in my original post. I am not sure Djordje you are grasping my intent here. While some users may have contributed much to the development of the US library, that is not a reason or excuse for GS to publish a poorly implemented one. And lets be clear, while my discussion has focused on residential architecture, the AC 12 library has problems beyond doors or windows, and last time I checked there are doors and windows in commercial buildings as well
rm wrote:
I have personally been told by the GS CEO when v9 was out, that by issuance of v11 there would be a "new" and well sorted out library that would be "thoroughly" tested. BS.....I have v12, and I found problems with the windows after working with them less than 5 minutes.....see the attached image, so you know I'm not blowing smoke.

Djordje wrote:
The road to perfection, if it exists at all, is in the interaction and the feedback, as well as the hard work put forward by yourselves too - like Rick did with his calculation templates, and others with theirs.
Let me know when GS releases AC 13, maybe I should send my next check to the users who helped in development, instead of GS. Give me a break, no one is expecting perfection, the AC library is not even close to it. How many versions of the software will it take before GS puts out a solid, current with standards, extensive library?

Djordje wrote:
Be always aware that the makes of the software do NOT necessarily use it daily, and are definitely not in the throes of the architectural practice. Therefore, we must informatively say what we want, and document it. Don't assume that a programmer knows what a 2x4 is. He will presume it is eight.
Well, given the US is a MAJOR market for GS, and given there are Architects working as programers and the like at GS, they darn well better know what a 2x4 is. If they dont, I assure you the folks at AutoDesk can teach them.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
Develop Stair tool that I drive not G.S.
(Especially REAL winder control).

Fully develop LightWorks capabilities.
(or at the very least give us real-time sliders).

DEVELOP US BASED LIBRARIES OR LOOSE us SOMEDAY!!!
Like top of the line modern U.S. Kit. stuff;

Although I do only mid size residential remodels/additions,
these are high end clients, (the only ones who have money right now).
I can't model top of the line kitchens for them with AC and that's sometimes embarrassing, at the very least.

U.S. based thresholds would be nice;

I feel I pay enough for AC already, don't want to get into the add-on treadmill.

Bier
Anonymous
Not applicable
In Revit, if you had someone to show you how, you could pretty readily create whatever window you want.

How many people really know how to do this in Revit? Not many. And the documentation to show how this could be done is nowhere near complete in the help files. It's a major commitment to learn this.

So we've had Revit users make the same complaint, and move on to Chief Architect, which for a fraction of the price of Revit or ArchiCAD, does what residential builders generally want.

You pay a thousands of dollars for software that doesn't do what you want because it doesn't have the libraries you need. It's a problem all right...
Anonymous
Not applicable
metanoia wrote:
In Revit, if you had someone to show you how, you could pretty readily create whatever window you want.

How many people really know how to do this in Revit? Not many. And the documentation to show how this could be done is nowhere near complete in the help files. It's a major commitment to learn this.

So we've had Revit users make the same complaint, and move on to Chief Architect, which for a fraction of the price of Revit or ArchiCAD, does what residential builders generally want.

You pay a thousands of dollars for software that doesn't do what you want because it doesn't have the libraries you need. It's a problem all right...
I know users Revit, which made allegations similar to yours. But in practice they are unable to make the window so the number of settings, as there is in ArchiCAD. Their objects have a very low level of parameterization and a small number of settings. This is tantamount, if a user ArchiCAD create your object without GDL-programming. To achieve a better result, the user Revit should spend very much time to establish their facilities. So many that it is possible to forget that you are an architect, not a creator of objects.
rm
Expert
Folks,

Can we keep this thread going with the original message / intent. That is the problems with the AC library, not Revit.

I'm sure there are plenty of Revit forums out there.

Thanks
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry. I had to say: "metanoia, allow to users of ArchiCAD solve their problems without your subtle appeals to move to Revit!"
Learn and get certified!