BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

dimensions and Structure Display

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Structure Display option seems like an extremely useful new feature. However, I am running into problems with the display of dimensions between the different states.

Is there a way to create dimensions that always display regardless of the Structure Display state (entire structure, core only, without finishes)?

Even dimensions linked to the core of walls don't seem to show up in 'core only' display if the string was created while in 'entire structure'.
3 REPLIES 3
__archiben
Booster
uffi wrote:
Is there a way to create dimensions that always display regardless of the Structure Display state (entire structure, core only, without finishes)?
not if you want associated dimensions, no.

it's caught a few people out i think. it's shame the dimensions can't distinguish themselves. i.e. if the dimension is to 'core only' they always stay (because the core is always visible). going forward i would like to be able to choose from the three structure displays from the dimension tool itself.

(incidentally - does anyone have any use for "without finishes" yet? the other two are great and well overdue, but i can't for the life of me find a use for that one...)

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Karl Ottenstein
~/archiben wrote:
(incidentally - does anyone have any use for "without finishes" yet? the other two are great and well overdue, but i can't for the life of me find a use for that one...)
Kind of. Have not modeled a whole lot with 12 yet. But, here are a few things - assuming 1/4" scale and wanting to show sheathing skins so core-only not enough. Maybe they're lame:

Where there is a half wall, or furred out basement wall that has a sill / cap on it that protrudes into the room by some reveal amount (modeled with a complex profile) - turning off the cap surface shows the actual finish face of the wall in floor plans. Without turning this off, a fixture that is mounted tight to the wall will appear to be tucked into the cap and/or you cannot use object snapping to snap to the real wall surface. Turned on in section though.

Presumably similar thing for a wall with various mouldings - base, chair, crown etc that should show in section, but look odd in certain (most?) plan views...assuming modeled with a complex profile and not via layers.

Maybe there would be times in a building using EIFS, that you might want some core-only sections, some with just sheathing (etc) for the framing/sheetrock guys, and others showing the full EIFS for the EIFS contractor/etc.

Same kind of thing with veneered built-up columns. Suppose you use a complex profile to represent a stone veneered column that has plywood sheathing over a built-up core made of blocked smaller dimension columns. You might want to show core only (structural columns inside), without finishes (all that the carpenters would do - dimensioned cleanly without having to look at the rock), and with everything visible (client and rock subcontractor).

What is kind of frustrating is that you can see lots of possibilities based on what Model View Options have always done for us, now this partial structure display thing (including 'magic' dimensions which respond to the PSD), and of course layers...and it just doesn't really feel like a coherent way of deciding how things display themselves.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Although this may be a poor example, I think it represents a possible use of "Without Finishes" Somewhat roughly on a basic level of half walls with caps trims, etc.
Sure wish I could get AC to work framing like this though.
Maybe someday??
Bier
Learn and get certified!