Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Help with splines and meshes

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have these separate "ramps" (each is indicated in a different color) that each begin and end at ground level and then curve up multiple levels. I assume the easiest way to do this would be with meshes, but when I try to bring them into AC12 (they are generated in Illustrator) it makes thousands of little lines instead of a single smooth spline or curve, so when I make a mesh out of it there are thousands of nodes, making it impossible to get it to smoothly do what i want. I would expect to divide each color ramp into 10 or so sections to generate the ramping portion.

anyone have any ideas on how to best model this?
15 REPLIES 15
Dwight
Newcomer
How about the ramp object?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
that somewhat works but i cant seem to get it to make non-circular or non-linear forms, most of my forms are ellipsoid or spline
Dwight
Newcomer
Is each ramp of uniform slope?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes each solid piece is uniform
Anonymous
Not applicable
no help, but i must ask.. what are they for??? looks like its gonn abe somehting quite intersting
Anonymous
Not applicable
Trace them in ArchiCAD with the spline tool.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes, and maybe linework consolidation and/or unifying will help.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK so here is a more watered down scheme of the sloping ramps. Ramp 1 goes from ground level to -10m, ramp 2 from ground level to +10m. They are splines, not arcs, so the ramp object wont work and I tried doing a mesh but that was no good either. Linework consolidation and unifying failed to help as well.

Any ideas how to model this?? SketchUp can't do it, its a piece of cake in 3ds but i need this to be modeled in AC anyways, regardless, so it is still of no help.

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah I worked it out with a mesh....I just have to draw the mesh by hand I can't use the sacebar method since it will trace each individual line segment.