BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimension settings in Views

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am "converting" from Microstation to Archicad, and have a few question.
First of all it's about dimensioning.

As I have understood - when I create a view (of a floor) and open it in the Project view map, the view is suppose to store/save all the settings within that view. I create a view, set the scale and adjust the dimension settings (font size etc) to suite the scale.
Then I open my drawing in Project map, change the scale and also the dimension settings (font size etc).
After that I double-click the view I created earlier and what happens? The dimension settings within the view is NOT what I had when I saved the view, but the setting from where I came (from the Project map). The result is that the dimension (text font) is either HUGE or tiny small.....

What is happening here, this isn't what I am accustomed from when working within Microstation, where the dimension text font is always the same size no matter what scale I am using (in layouts).

Can someone explain to me that this is the case, and if so, what a "mess" it all will be if I am working on different scale at the same time.
15 REPLIES 15
Djordje
Ace
The dimension text size should always be the same, PRINTED, regardless of the scale.

That means that it is smaller or bigger in relation to the model, again relative to the scale.

So, when you set the dim text to 2.5mm, it will ALWAYS be 2.5mm, at 1:50 or 1:500 - and of course at 1:500 it will be huge relative to the model.

So don't bother changing the dimension text size - it does that all by itself. Change the output size.

The same goes for the text.

There is also a switch for this, but I would advise you to get accustomed to the default way - one thing less to think about.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, where is "There is also a switch for this"?

The text tool is scaleable throughout all the scales using the "Scale with plan (Model Size)" - also the Zone Tool has a setting that make the text the same whatever scale I draw or print in, but this is NOT the case with dimensions (and ALSO the sections tool.....).
Djordje
Ace
geircito wrote:
Oh, where is "There is also a switch for this"?

The text tool is scaleable throughout all the scales using the "Scale with plan (Model Size)" - also the Zone Tool has a setting that make the text the same whatever scale I draw or print in, but this is NOT the case with dimensions (and ALSO the sections tool.....).
It should be the case by default.

The text should NOT stay the same relative to the plan, it should get larger or smaller. As well as the text, and the Zone text. Then it is the same printed size.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Printet in scale 1:1

Same printed in scale 1:100 (the dimension text is HUGE and the drawing is a tiny spot down to the right):

Here I have zoomed into the drawing in scale 1:100 (same as above) and the zone and text is the same size as in the 1:1 print:
Anonymous
Not applicable
So, is it supposed to be like I show in the pictures in my earlier post above?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
There is also a switch for this...
So I ask again, where is the switch in the dimension tool that I search for?
Or is it "impossible"?
Anonymous
Not applicable
geircito wrote:
So, is it supposed to be like I show in the pictures in my earlier post above?
No it isn't!

The attached image shows how dimensions, zone stamps, text (scaled with plan), and text (scale independent) display at different scales on a layout.

As Djordje says, generally keep text as scale independent, as other annotation behaves the in the same way, and all will rescale nicely when you change the viewing scale. The switch for this is in the text tool settings box only. (circled in red, below).

As a quick test, without zooming in or out, try changing the plan to various scales using the quick options tool bar. This will temporarily change the scale so you can see the effect on the text, without worrying about views and viewpoints.

(By the way, to change the scale of a view, you have to adjust it in the views settings i.e. right click on the particular view in the navigator, go to 'view settings', and change there. This could be part of your original problem.)

And in reply to the later question, no there isn't a switch in the dimension tool.
text_size1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I start in 1:50.
In Text tool I set the font hight to 5mm and choose "Scale independent (Paper Size)"
In Dimension tool I also set the font hight to 5mm.
Then I place some elements/text/dimensions.

This is how it looks in scale 1:50

This is how it looks in scale 1:100

This is how it looks in scale 1:200

See my "problem"?...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, that is the expected behavior. When you place these on a layout, whatever the scale of the plans, the dimensions will always be 5mm high and perfectly legible.

Having them fixed in size would be fine at one particular scale, but they would appear too large at another scale and unreadably small on another, which is not what you want!

A workaround is to adjust the drawing scale of the actual drawing on the layout itself. Right click on a placed drawing and select 'Drawing Settings'. There you can override the scale (rather like scaling a paper plan on a photocopier, but more exact!)

How is it accomplished in Microstation? Can you show us an example of what you are trying to achieve?
text_size2.jpg
Learn and get certified!