BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Truss maker help

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to make a truss and I can't get it right. I need it to not extend past the 2 x 4 on which it bares.

I've attached a picture, I hope it helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

trusses.png
8 REPLIES 8
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Chrisdell wrote:
I'm trying to make a truss and I can't get it right. I need it to not extend past the 2 x 4 on which it bares.

I've attached a picture, I hope it helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hi Chris,

I'd go for a complex profile. I however depends a little on how you want to show the trusses in plan view.

Cheers,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a good point!

Being that I'm still in 'traditional drafting mode' I'm not sure how I want to see it in plan. Normally I would, in plan, show the rafter tails as part of the truss because it's at such a small scale it doesn't really matter. Then I would show the truss in section and then detail the rafter tails connections to that truss.

This being AC and 3D, is there a modous operandi? I think I want the trusses to show exactly as you have them so that they show correctly in section.
Karl Ottenstein
Unfortunately, Chris is using the Start Edition which does not support complex profiles.

Cheaper than upgrading to full AC is adding objectIve to the mix, as it can do the same thing...and more (other than profiled walls):
http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html

Cheapest is the old-fashioned way of magic wanding the truss outline on the floor with the slab tool, viewing the result in the 3D window from above, and saving as a GDL object.

Not sure if a solid element subtract will cut the pointy tails off of the TM-created trusses.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Karl wrote:
Unfortunately, Chris is using the Start Edition which does not support complex profiles.
Cheers,
Karl

Ooops sorry Chris. Didn't see that.
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help, I didn't know that I simply couldn't do this with SA.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Objective is powerfull and easy to make stair, truss and etc..
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Karl wrote:
Cheaper than upgrading to full AC is adding objectIve to the mix, as it can do the same thing...and more (other than profiled walls):
http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Not sure if a solid element subtract will cut the pointy tails off of the TM-created trusses.
In addition to providing the profiling tools, OBJECTiVE has tools that can cut the pointy tails off TM trusses too - referring to the attached image:
  • 1) Use OBJECTiVE's Split tool to cut off unwanted portions
    2) The remaining truss - the offcuts have been deleted. The remaining object is still a TM truss exactly as before, i.e. it hasn't become a dumb 3D 'blob' in the process. Unlike SEOs it also looks right in the plan view.
    3) The result in 3D.

trusstrim.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
jbArch
Newcomer
Just in case anyone else is searching and finds this thread: You can use an SEO to trim off the ends of trusses created with TrussMaker. For the scenario presented by the OP you could just put the operator (e.g. wall) on a hidden layer.

For a truss tail you could get a plumb cut by using your fascia board as an SEO operator that remains visible.
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
Learn and get certified!