BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Cigraph Paranoia

gpowless
Advocate
I spent part of my day trying to log on, download and update a number of Cigraph products. The "new Cigraph dongle will make it easier" they say.

I disagree. I see no need for such elaborate protection on an add-on for Archicad.

Is this really warranted? And how many people would steal the add-on if it was made available? Our USB ports are already overloaded and complicated protection systems for moderately useful products are a waste of resources and a waste of my time. I would rather see Cigraph put better quality into their products.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
52 REPLIES 52
Dwight
Newcomer
There's no doubt, regardless of how you might feel about the dongles, that Cigraph botched it.

But can we please be done with this matter now?

Even though there's been anger expressed, the Archicad world is vastly improved by the Cigraph products and we need to respect their decisions.

Let us hope that future updates are more closely related to Archicad updates.......
Dwight Atkinson
Brett Brown
Advocate
Don, Is this what you are after? I just picked the landing option and turned on handrails, and this is the result.
Archistair.JPG
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
But can we please be done with this matter now?
Why not, I've had my say...........
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Brett:

But I really would like to place the newels at the bottom and top of each run and at the corners of the landing. Balusters would be spaced so that a 4" sphere cannot pass through and be full height from the tread to the bottom of the handrail. This is a very common configuration here as it meets code, is easy to build and suits many people's idea about what a stair should be.

Increasingly, building departments here are asking for structural calculations for the hand and guardrails and it is an easy configuration for he engineers to calc. Once construction starts things often change.

Don Lee
Brett Brown
Advocate
I didn't bother to edit it at all, but what you say can be done in the baluster tabs etc. If you don't like Archistairs handrail,turn them off and use the numerous handrails in the Library

I agree none of the stair addons are perfect. It amazes me that the railings posts, balusters etc can't be individually moved,stretched etc. Then they would probably suit everyone.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brett wrote:
I didn't bother to edit it at all, but what you say can be done in the baluster tabs etc. If you don't like Archistairs handrail,turn them off and use the numerous handrails in the Library

I agree none of the stair addons are perfect. It amazes me that the railings posts, balusters etc can't be individually moved,stretched etc. Then they would probably suit everyone.
I'll give it a try again (in AC 11 of course), but my inquiry to Cigraph has gone unanswered.

Thanks,

Don
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, can't seem to be able to place the newels where I want them. Can anyone tell me if it is even possible? I would gladly pay for the security update if it is possible.

Thanks,

Don Lee
Dennis Lee
Booster
Don, are you trying to use this tool to make you a stair that you can use for stair details? I don't think any of the tools out there will be good enough to do so. What about the handrails?

In my opinion, all of these stair tools will only give you a representational model, that shows true riser heights and tread widths and something to visualize the space, but not quite there in section / elevation details.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don wrote:
I fully appreciate the need for software protection and in principle don't object to the dongle.

That being said, the update for AC 12 was VERY late and surprise, surprise after I load the update I discover I need a dongle. Cad Garage who I bought the software from knows nothing of this and I had to contact Cigraph directly and they finally informed me that I was in the system.

Yesterday, I got my dongle all the way from Italy via DHL with a very nice keychain attached. Apparently the dongle is valued a 45 euro for which I was not charged. So maybe I am hoping the update from AC11 to AC12
will be free. No such luck, I need to pay for an update that has, to my knowledge, no new features.

From Cigraph's website it is hard to determine how much or even how I go about purchasing this new security update. I'm sure it's there, but it is not so clear.

Bottom line, after a long delay and a lot of my time, I have to pay for a Cigraph security update.

And to my knowledge I still am not able to place newels at the bottom and top of each run and at the corners of the landings. PLEASE tell that I am wrong on this!!!!! Very common configuration here in the US.

Wow, sounds like a long rant. Again, I understand and sympathize with Cigraph's problems , I just needed make a few practical points from the end user's point of view.

Don Lee
Dear Mr. Don Lee
I thank you very much for your constructive critics, including the later ones. In fact you just saved us from a mistake we could have done in 2-3 months. I will come back to this later.

First allow me to clarify our three types of updates.
1) Maintain Updates (free): usually bug-fixing or other performance improvements, but no new features. Those are always free and can be downloaded from our web-side. NB: Maintain updates are linked to the ArchiCAD version you currently use with the plug-in.
2) Compatibility Updates (small fee): this updates adapt the plug-ins to newer ArchiCAD versions. We don’t add new features to this updates. It is very expensive for us because we have to rewrite often big parts of the code to stay compatible AND have to do large Beta-testing too. Remember we have to warrant perfect functionality of the plug-ins with a new, unknown ArchiCAD version, this requests a lot of testing from our side.
3) Plug-In Update (larger fee): Those are updates where we try to put in all we learned from our clients, so a lot of new features. OK, at least we try. Based on the work we have done the price can change. Currently we stay at 60% of the original purchase price.
PLEASE NOTE: all our application, also the newest ones, are currently back-wards compatible till ArchiCAD 8. This is a vital element in our service as we do understand that the live-time of a project may go over years and many Architects prefer not to change the ArchCAD versions in the middle of the work.

I know all this sounds confusing and I do agree that an Architect should not waste his time in having to learn our procedures, but I have really no idea how to make it different. Graphisoft produces every year a new exciting update and we have to follow it.

Now about the mistake you saved us from doing. Out in the pipeline there is a “real” Plug-In Update, a new ArchiStair 2 version, with a lot of improvements, including the one you requested here. It should be ready around February or March and will cost 108.-€. Reading your post I understood that we have to recognize absolutely the 25.-€ customers would have paid for the Compatibility Update from AC11 to AC12 as we have to give in the future a 3 month protection also on the Compatibility Updates.

So to summarize the choices:
a) forget Cigraph (I hope not☺)
b) buy the Compatibility Update (25.-€) and buy later the ArchiStair2 (83.-€)
c) wait for the ArchiStair 2 (108.-€) without buying the Compatibility Update

To get to the last point: yes, we used to be ready in time with the Plug-Ins, once ArchiCAD started to ship a new version. Unfortunately this time we had much more problems in doing the Compatibility updates, sometimes there is really heavy work to do.

Thank you again for your points
Istvan Toth, CEO
Cigraph Srl
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brett wrote:
Istvan, I thank you for your side of the story on the Dongles. I don't think you have been arrogant or disrespectful.

On the other hand there is only one person on this thread that is arrogant and paranoid.

Unfortunately with the lack of every day useable features that AC provide, you and other add-on makers will be welcomed by most users, and they get the job done how we want. So it is our choice to invest in your add-ons if we need them. They are worth in time saving, far more than the good or bad opinions of changing to a Dongle. For example Archistair is still way ahead of the new AC stairs and Stairbuilder.

I also thank you for sending my free Dongle way out here. Hate to think how much it cost you.
Brett, thank you very much for your kind words. It helps to keep all our people motivated and proud for what they do. Again, thanks, Istvan
Learn and get certified!