Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Advantages of Key Notes??

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,
I haven’t use key notes (Cad image tool) before, thinking of trying it out, but with AC12 version, we would need to buy it.

- What I would like to know the difference between the traditional way of placing the notes (by typing, copying and paste to all drawings) and key notes.
- Are there any advantages of key notes??
- How much times has saved through out the whole development design & documentation?? (if possible, what’s the percentage of times has saved)??
- is it worth while to buy the keynotes Cad image tool now?? or they might be free in the future??? hehehe.... ....I knwo they're free in AC11 version.

Please give me some comments.

Thanks in Advance

Star
21 REPLIES 21
gpowless
Advocate
I use Keynotes regularly, but I don't use any commercial add-ons or object tools. What I did was create a database of numbered comments and then query those that I need included in the drawings and create a print out with just those notes.

The benefit of Keynote is that a lot of detailed information can be included on the drawings without cluttering the documents, or having to resort to cryptic abbreviations. It is much easier to maintain consistency (and spelling) through the documents - especially where notes must be repeated view to view.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm a big fan of keynotes. The consistency, accuracy and discipline they offer are a great improvement over trying to type the same thing over and over, and even if you copy paste notes what happens if a common note has to change. The cool thing about computers is that the keynotes can show a brief text on the drawing while referring to more detailed info in the notes list and even spec (depending how far one wants to go).
Karl Ottenstein
I've seen the advantage of keynotes in commercial projects for the reasons given, particularly consistency.

For sustainably-sized residential projects (not the mega mansions), where the scale is larger and there is plenty of room for text, I prefer text notes. Text is easier on the design end to proof-read and on the client/engineer/build end to read - no putting your finger on the keynote, moving your eyes to the list, going back to the plan. My neck hurts thinking about it.

Error-checking keynotes (that the right code is in the right place) in a huge commercial doc set cannot be any fun...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
gpowless
Advocate
Another point on Key Notes is that they act as a sort of checklist where you can ensure that all the areas of the design and construction are covered.

Karl, I use key notes on all my residential projects. There hasn't been a builder tell me or my clients that they didn't like them. The builder's main interest for the plans during construction are the dimensions. Most plans are pictorial enough to indicate columns, footings and other information like that.

When preparing their quotes and preparing material orders the details and specifics are needed. So the Key Notes come out in full detail and allow the estimator to document their needs. However, once the material arrives on site they don't need to know much more than where it all goes.

As I said, everyone it seems to be happy with the Key Notes. Plus, I can save about 4-5 hours per plan in not having to search for and place all the long form notes on the plan.

Less clutter means less time.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
Starchi wrote:
or they might be free in the future??? hehehe.... ....I knwo they're free in AC11 version.
Star
Free in AC11? Really? I wasn't aware of that.... where can i find them?
Anonymous
Not applicable
LINZ wrote:
Starchi wrote:
or they might be free in the future??? hehehe.... ....I knwo they're free in AC11 version.
Star
I think Starchi means they were free to NZ customers who get Archicad thru' Cadimage (now Graphisoft NZ), but even then I think keynotes had to be purchased separately. The free ones (for us) are 3D Profiler, Accessories tool, Cabinet Builder, Stair Builder, Rapid Details tool, Site and Massing tool and the ever-popular Door and Window Builder.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
gpowless wrote:
I use Keynotes regularly, but I don't use any commercial add-ons or object tools. What I did was create a database of numbered comments and then query those that I need included in the drawings and create a print out with just those notes.
Would you mind providing more information on what program you used for your database on how you queried them in ArchiCAD?

Cheers,
Link.
Brett Brown
Advocate
s2art wrote:
LINZ wrote:
Starchi wrote:
Star

The free ones (for us) are 3D Profiler, Accessories tool, Cabinet Builder, Stair Builder, Rapid Details tool, Site and Massing tool and the ever-popular Door and Window Builder.

Well actually they aren't "free", we pay for them through the Upgrade fee which is twice what Americans pay.':wink:'
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for your response and comments on Key notes.
Just one more question>>
Is there any guide on key notes (not on how to use commercial add-on key note tool, but on how to employ it to documentation drawing).

Very much thanks for your help once again.

Star