Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Virtual Reality with Archicad?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!
Is there any Virtual Reality system that works with Archicad? I want it for walk through even to work with force feedback haptic gloves so I can touch objects or to open doors .
I have searched for such systems and they exists but I want to know is anyone has tried to work directly with archicad with out using other software.
Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use Lightworks with some default settings and materials or you may register and download some materials from this web

http://www.lightworks-user.com/

It is not very photo-realistic (may be due to my limited knowledge/ skill) , but at least it is acceptable and it is free!!

for your reference here
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=26523&highlight=

you may also check in the help menu
RENTEST5.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
angus lee I think you misunderstood my question I not interested in just rendering and animation walk through I need interactive VR so you can walk inside the building by using 3d stereoscopic visors and force feedback haptic gloves so I can feel the surfaces. I want the client to walk himself inside the building with out using mouse and pc screen.

Thanks anyway.
PB
Advocate
Haha,

This topic has tickled me: It is very similar to a question I asked Bite to put before their visiting Graphisoft dignitary a few months ago - I'm not holding my breath for an answer.........

Would love to know what possibilities currently exist, but I'm guessing that they will appropriately expensive!
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
Barry Kelly
syber wrote:
Hi!
Is there any Virtual Reality system that works with Archicad? I want it for walk through even to work with force feedback haptic gloves so I can touch objects or to open doors .
I have searched for such systems and they exists but I want to know is anyone has tried to work directly with archicad with out using other software.
Thank you.
I don't know anything about this but I remember years ago there were postings refering to exporting an Archicad model into a Doom or Quake game which gave collission detection.
The problem was the tough guy couldn't fit through a standard door opening because his shoulders were so wide.
The postings may have even been before this current Archi-talk forum.

So I am guessing that a model could be taken into a virtual reality world, but I don't know if that would give you the ability to manipulate objects.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Here's a link to the old post.
Barry.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=5490&highlight=quake#5490
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
you can try
Turntool www.turntool.com

or

quest3d

www.quest3d.com

I don't know if you can export from archicad directly.

you can export textured or backed scenes from c4d to it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have a look at the recently revived Zermatt engine. We discussed its demise and return here - http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=19775&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=zermatt&&start=30

Website - http://www.zermatt.se/

It's not really 'Virtual Reality' as such, but it's better than the standard navigation in ArchiCAD, and plays just like a game. It's not cheap though!
KeesW
Advocate
I thought that VR was a normal part of ArchiCad - it is referred to in AC's manual, and I remember using it. However, it won't work with XP64 or Vista 64 operating systems (it does work with standard 32 bit OS's). Apparently, this is an Apple problem - VR is part of Quicktime (an Apple product) and they haven't got round to providing it for 64 bit window OS's.

Please someone, tell me if I'm wrong because I'd love to use it!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
I thought that VR was a normal part of ArchiCad - it is referred to in AC's manual, and I remember using it. However, it won't work with XP64 or Vista 64 operating systems (it does work with standard 32 bit OS's). Apparently, this is an Apple problem - VR is part of Quicktime (an Apple product) and they haven't got round to providing it for 64 bit window OS's.

Please someone, tell me if I'm wrong because I'd love to use it!
I just googled "quicktime vista 64" and came up with this...

www.coderjournal.com/2007/02/setting-up-itunes-on-windows-vista-64-bit/

There's lots more, but it looks like it should be do-able. I don't recall any problems when I've run AC on my Vista 64 install (don't have time to check right now).