Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Importing Layouts w/ Project Chooser -Crashes in AC12

Chazz
Enthusiast
Most people I talk to or do training with do not even know about the Project Chooser. I have tried to use it to copy over fully formatted layouts and all I get is the PLN locking up. I'm using the latest hotfixes and Libraries. I'm able to transfer views but when I try to import Layouts whole cloth, it just bonks.

Any thoughts? Does this work for anyone else?

Specifically, can you bring over layouts that include plan views with things like linked sections, elevations or details embedded in them?

Project Chooser open.png
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
12 REPLIES 12
Chazz
Enthusiast
The pic below shows the Project Chooser (on the left) open to the remote file Contractor Executed Details while the main, open file, ((Name TBA Jinan China) is on the right. When I try to drag layouts across, Archicad crashes. I have the remote file running concurrently. This makes it faster doesn't it?

Anyway the AC 12 Reference Guide says:
The external project is now displayed in a tree structure on the left side of the Organizer, in one of two available map options (View Map or Layout Book). You can add any of its views or layouts to the Layout Book of the active project by dragging and dropping it directly onto the Layout, or dragging the item into the Layout Book tree structure on the right side of the Organizer

Project chooser ready to drag.png
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Chazz:

I have used this feature for importing Master Layouts and Layouts (usually empty) into another project without any problems. Generally, the project I am importing from is not open. For what it is worth.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Chazz
Enthusiast
Thanks David. My masters are usually imported views from a PLN file where I've set up various master title blocks, etc but I can see why you would do it your way.

I have been able to import blank or simple layouts too, but not layouts with things linked in them (sections, elevs, etc). Note that you can copy/paste these master items from other projects but for some reason, you then have to go back and re-link everything with drawing manager --a real pain.

Anyone else? I need to import pages and pages of standard details from a PLN that is filled with just our office typical details into to specific projects. Surely, other folks have this need too? Please speak up.
Djordje
Ace
Chazz wrote:
Anyone else? I need to import pages and pages of standard details from a PLN that is filled with just our office typical details into to specific projects. Surely, other folks have this need too? Please speak up.
Working quite nicely here. Did you try with the external file NOT running - although I don't see why it should be a problem?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Chazz
Enthusiast
Just applied the 3rd hotfix and now AC does not lock up. But the layout never imports either. Nothing happens and you get zero feedback that something might happen. In the world of AC, this, I guess, is progress.

It soooooooo frustrating. Part of the hell of this tool is that the feedback is simply abysmal. If you try to import just a few formatted drawings from one PLN to another, it takes forever (even with the source PLN open) but worse, there is no progress bar, spinning wheel, hourglass or any other indication that something might happen in the next few minutes (hours? days? weeks?).

The promise of this tool/feature is immense but few people I talk to seem to understand how or why to use it and so no one complains about how bad it is.

So please people, use it, realize that you want it and then get upset that it hardly works. Complain and do so loudly. Maybe Obama should look into it?

/rant
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Chazz, please report this to your local reseller.
Seems like GS needs to look further into this.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Chazz
Enthusiast
laszlonagy wrote:
Chazz, please report this to your local reseller.
Done.

And to Mr. Obama as well
Chazz
Enthusiast
But reseller or no reseller, it still begs the question: Why does it work in Dubai but not California?
Dwight
Newcomer
Chazz wrote:
But reseller or no reseller, it still begs the question: Why does it work in Dubai but not California?
There's no emission control in Dubai?
Dwight Atkinson