BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

VR viewers

jonchis
Contributor
I'm feeling a similar sway to offering clients a stand alone viewer with which to explore their models - although Zermatt at nearly $3000 AU feels way too expensive for a viewer - with the number of offices presenting 3D these days, an affordable viewer around the $750 - $1000 mark AU would grab a major market share.

I had in the past used cosmo viewer to view WRL files and another free utility called Worldview - both seem to have disappeared. it seems strange with the staggering proliferation of games that no one is producing an affordable game - engine driven viewer, i note that the Zermatt engine seems to have broadened it's market appeal by relying on the 3DS format, pretty common to the gaming world.

if anyone has found anything of interest, i'd be keen to hear. regards jc
Perth
19 REPLIES 19
Barry Kelly
Not quite a VR viewer but you can save your 3D model as U3D format and embed this into a PDF.

Not particularly fast - you have to wait a little while for the 3D image to become active in the PDF.
And it can make some pretty big files so you have to be careful about turning off non-essential layers.
But it doesn't cost a cent.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
You might check out the Cortona3D viewer http://www.cortona3d.com/cortona.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
jonchis wrote:
I'm feeling a similar sway to offering clients a stand alone viewer with which to explore their models - although Zermatt at nearly $3000 AU feels way too expensive for a viewer - with the number of offices presenting 3D these days, an affordable viewer around the $750 - $1000 mark AU would grab a major market share.

I had in the past used cosmo viewer to view WRL files and another free utility called Worldview - both seem to have disappeared. it seems strange with the staggering proliferation of games that no one is producing an affordable game - engine driven viewer, i note that the Zermatt engine seems to have broadened it's market appeal by relying on the 3DS format, pretty common to the gaming world.

if anyone has found anything of interest, i'd be keen to hear. regards jc
Have you checked the Virtual Building Explorer?

http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/Web+Exclusive/Graphisofts-New-CEO-Discusses-a-New-Product/ArticleStandar...

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
jonchis
Contributor
Thankyou guys, i'll jump in and check these out now.
rgds

jc
Perth
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
WOW! that is great news. I've got to say, the screen shots shown in that article look exactly the same as Zermatt (I have Zermatt 3.0). Has Graphisoft bought Zermatt!? Great to see Graphisoft creating a decent VR file viewer, if the price is right they will sell them by the truck load.

Thanks for the link Mats
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Ben wrote:
WOW! that is great news. I've got to say, the screen shots shown in that article look exactly the same as Zermatt (I have Zermatt 3.0). Has Graphisoft bought Zermatt!? Great to see Graphisoft creating a decent VR file viewer, if the price is right they will sell them by the truck load.

Thanks for the link Mats
You're welcome! The Zermatt feeling is not a coincidence. It's on the shelf very soon. Is your avatar Mr Sheen Jr?
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Brett Brown
Advocate
So Mats, How is Virtual Building Explorer going to be better than the FREE Cortona? And how does your client see the result like they can now with Cortona?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
the Avatar is Ace Rimmer!! From a classic English TV show - kind of a cross between Star Trek and South Park....

Back on topic. The new Graphisoft CEO has said in that article.... "innovation as our top priority". Well if Graphisoft have to buy the innovation, thats fine, the main thing is to bring innovation to the platform, I don't care who the inventor is!!. This is how software companies become huge, think Adobe, MS, Autodesk, Nemetschek ... the common thread is acquisition.
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mats_Knutsson wrote:

Have you checked the Virtual Building Explorer?

http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/Web+Exclusive/Graphisofts-New-CEO-Discusses-a-New-Product/ArticleStandar...

I confess that I am very excited about this news.

I think there is a misunderstanding about the capabilities of this add-on, otherwise this tread would not be in the Rendering and Multimedia chapter.

From the images on the Cadalyst article you can see that this add-on gives you not only pretty pictures, but the ability of querying the model, like VICO 5D presenter http://www.vicosoftware.com/products/5d_presenter_2008/tabid/84575/Default.aspx (which btw is free...). Like Zermatt, of course, but I won´t go here

This is something that is SORELY needed.

As more and more ArchiCad users model their projects ever with more detail, being able to send this model to your client, engineer, constructor, licensing entity, as a navigable standalone is of enormous value.

Like I said, I am pretty excited. Zermatt has always been very promising, but lacked focus. With a Graphisoft similar product, we will have the support we need.

I would go as far as betting that if GS included this add-on as the main AC13 feature, it would be a winner, but luckily I am not responsible for their development policy

I will camp in line to get it, and will keep my fingers crossed that they develop a IPhone compatible APP.

Way to go, GS.
Learn and get certified!