BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

VR viewers

jonchis
Contributor
I'm feeling a similar sway to offering clients a stand alone viewer with which to explore their models - although Zermatt at nearly $3000 AU feels way too expensive for a viewer - with the number of offices presenting 3D these days, an affordable viewer around the $750 - $1000 mark AU would grab a major market share.

I had in the past used cosmo viewer to view WRL files and another free utility called Worldview - both seem to have disappeared. it seems strange with the staggering proliferation of games that no one is producing an affordable game - engine driven viewer, i note that the Zermatt engine seems to have broadened it's market appeal by relying on the 3DS format, pretty common to the gaming world.

if anyone has found anything of interest, i'd be keen to hear. regards jc
Perth
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
VRML is what you need .... try Vitruvian Studio
http://www.vitruvian-studio.com/
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karlsson wrote:
As far as I can see, it does not work in a Mac enviroment, and also, it does not give you nay information regarding de building elements. Or does it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
As far as I can see, it does not work in a Mac enviroment ........
It does not work in a Mac enviroment .... but VS optimizes the VRML created with AC MAC as well ...if your goal is to put the scene on a web server and let your custmers to walk through the scene by them selves (freely using a VRML plug in) VS is OK till the 90 % of internet users use Windows ...
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Krippahl wrote:
Karlsson wrote:
As far as I can see, it does not work in a Mac enviroment, and also, it does not give you nay information regarding de building elements. Or does it?
I don't have the time to try and comment on the VBE right now since I'm writing important IFC material. However...VBE (as also Zermatt) is about stylish totally hassle-free communication of design! Every (however small) disturbance is negative for the clear and focused communication of your design.

I totally agree that VBE/Zermatt should not be regarded as a traditional VR-viewer.

I'm also VERY interested in the future development of a 5D Presenter inspired VBE as Miguel mentioned.

Cheers,
Mats

Hassle-free has nothing to do with Hasselhoff...
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
Hassle-free has nothing to do with Hasselhoff...
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Krippahl wrote:
Karlsson wrote:
Unfortunately Zermatt is PC only, I have now gone 100% Mac, so I would love to see this new App work on Mac, but I seriously doubt it will.

I also noticed we have a proposed date on the link to Mats GS website...13th of Feb "New revolutionary tool for ArchiCAD" (Go to love Google translate!)
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben wrote:
Unfortunately Zermatt is PC only, I have now gone 100% Mac, so I would love to see this new App work on Mac, but I seriously doubt it will.
I am betting it will work on Mac, because I am willing to believe GS would not alienate such a big user base.

Although, the file generated could be Windows only, because almost everyone I will be sending the file to (constructors, engineers, clients) work with Windows.

12th I´ll camp on GS door then
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Ben wrote:
Krippahl wrote:
Karlsson wrote:

I also noticed we have a proposed date on the link to Mats GS website...13th of Feb "New revolutionary tool for ArchiCAD" (Go to love Google translate!)
I got tricked to go 100% Mac which is a hassle...so I have to wait for the VBE slightly longer than my PC-friends but it's coming. Ladies first...PC first...eh!?!?!?
13th is cool date to drop VBE isn't it?
😉

I think more cool things will show up during spring. The climate is really strange here in the south of Sweden. About 150 Canadian Goose just practised formation flying outside my office. About a month to early.
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
I got tricked to go 100% Mac which is a hassle...so I have to wait for the VBE slightly longer than my PC-friends but it's coming. Ladies first...PC first...eh!?!?!?
13th is cool date to drop VBE isn't it?
😉

I think more cool things will show up during spring. The climate is really strange here in the south of Sweden. About 150 Canadian Goose just practised formation flying outside my office. About a month to early.
Me too, which makes me feel like a Hasselhof sometimes.

Glad you said it, Mats, VBE for Mac
All good things in life are worth waiting for.

Here it has been snowing, something which only happened once in the last 20 years, 15 years ago.
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
Canadian Goose
Plenty of them flying around this forum... (boom boom..... ting)

How do you get "Tricked" into going Mac and why is it a hassle? (probably a bit too off topic now... but why not?)
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Learn and get certified!