BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

exporting xml file

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
how can i export or save as a xml file form ArchiCad?

i think sae as xml was available in AC 10 or before and it removed now.

are there any plug in for xml

thanks

Abu Shady
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
More detail please: What version of ArchiCAD, and what information is it that you would like saved in XML format?

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
More detail please: What version of ArchiCAD, and what information is it that you would like saved in XML format?

Thanks,
Karl
ArchiCad V12,

what information is it that you would like saved in XML format? structural element beams & columns & walls and slabs.

Thanks in advanced
Abu Shady
Karl Ottenstein
Mohamed wrote:
what information is it that you would like saved in XML format? structural element beams & columns & walls and slabs.
Thanks, Mohamed.

Do you really mean XML, or do you mean IFC?

If XML, post an example of how you want something encoded. You realize that XML is simply a file format and that there are infinite possibilities for an XML encoding of a beam, for example, right?

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Do you really mean XML, or do you mean IFC?
If XML, post an example of how you want something encoded.
thanks Karl,

i really mean xml not IFC.

please find the attached sample of xml file which i need to export from ArchiCad.
Karl Ottenstein
Mohamed wrote:
please find the attached sample of xml file which i need to export from ArchiCad.
As I said, XML is simply a file format ... like saying "text". So, it is impossible for any software to produce a desired XML file out of the box unless it is programmed specifically to do that...usually by the manufacturer of the product that wants that particular XML format.

As far as I know, the only XML model export that ArchiCAD supports directly is IFCXML.

In your case, your XML is for an XsteelModel system. You (if you are a programmer) or the company with which you are trying to communicate this data, can program a custom ArchiCAD plug-in (add-on) to create that XML file. (See the Developer Forum sticky announcements here for links.)

An alternative is to write or hire someone to write (depending on skills) a program to convert an IFCXML or other-archicad-exported file into the XML file that you want. This IFC to XsteelModel conversion would be a pain because IFC does not store coordinates next to elements (e.g., columns), but rather in a separate coordinate list that is referred to by name.

I think that the steel xml format that you show is used by Tekla? If so, Tekla accepts IFC, so the xml is not necessary.

GDL objects can read/write XML, but that does not help to get the general building model exported, as you want.

Hope this helps,
Karl
David Shorter
Advisor
Karl's' right in these options ... to get xml out requires a bit of GDL. This can be done using a property object to create an XML output (write an xml file(write a text file which is given an XML extension))
The structure is not difficult and all you really need is an object which has the required parameters or properties which can be exported using the property object to write the output file. The advantage of using the property object is that it can be attached to any number of graphical object to create a consistent output format.
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable
David / Karl,

you are right, the xml format is very simply to coded and add as add on to Archicad, I think I will work on it.

the reason of requesting a xml format from ArchiCad is to import to Tekla Structures www.tekla.com.

archiCad was supporting that extension before as in the attached file ( i think in V9 or V10)
and Tekla still supporting that format too.

And Tekla is supporting IFC 2x2 and 2x3 import/ export from ArchiCad or any other BIM software.
but Tekla read the IFC as a reference model for co-ordination and can't modify the reference object to be a real object.
and Tekla will release an application to convert the reference IFC file to be a real objects.
ar.png
Learn and get certified!