Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

what sofware for BIM with complex facade?

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have secured a large residentail project with a complex facade. The concept was modelled in Rhino but we have committed to deliver a full BIM project. Think of a wellington boot with a scolloped top and an inverted crease in the front and you get the picture. I am not sure Revit 2009 or Archicad v12 can handle this facade (we use both) and we may have to consider Generative Components or Digital Project but do not have the user base or the time.

Our Struc/MEP consultants are using Revit 2009 but transfer via IFC is still an option as we have a large ArchiCad user base. Doing the facade in 3DMax/Rhino/Cinema4D etc is not an option. Would appreciate your feedback.
HM
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aaron wrote:
pass the beets, Karl.
Add some asparagus and we might have a reasonable gamut. Dot sizes and halftones would be challenging though.
Dwight
Newcomer
Another way to know when it has gone too far.
Dwight Atkinson
Erika Epstein
Booster
Dwight wrote:
Naw, Matthew just isn't familiar with the range of colors beets come in.
Now those red & white striped ones....
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Harry wrote:
We have secured a large residentail project with a complex facade. The concept was modelled in Rhino but we have committed to deliver a full BIM project. Think of a wellington boot with a scolloped top and an inverted crease in the front and you get the picture. I am not sure Revit 2009 or Archicad v12 can handle this facade (we use both) and we may have to consider Generative Components or Digital Project but do not have the user base or the time.

Our Struc/MEP consultants are using Revit 2009 but transfer via IFC is still an option as we have a large ArchiCad user base. Doing the facade in 3DMax/Rhino/Cinema4D etc is not an option. Would appreciate your feedback.
HM
I think Digital Project is your solution:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/business/11gehry.html

I don't know about the beets.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
You have a problem with asparagus?
Dwight
Newcomer
Huy yuy yuy!
Do i ever!

Color AND scent.

Can't wait. Got that special Sarawak black pepper so I'm ready.

Just in case you are interested, now that my Artlantis Attitude is just days from completion, my next book is "Getting Chicks With Food" - kitchen skills for single men.

Inspired by Archicad users worldwide.
Dwight Atkinson
Thomas Holm
Booster
Thomas wrote:
Harry wrote:
Think of a wellington boot with a scolloped top and an inverted crease in the front and you get the picture.
Looks like this , then?
As there were no comments on this, I see I have to apologize for bad taste. I have removed the attached picture. The link is enough. Still, I wonder how much responsibility the design of this Koolhaas complex may have had on how this fire incident developed. This comment from The Straits Times sure is food for thought:

"One reason why the fire spread so quickly could be linked to the tower's design. The hotel boasts an open central section from top to bottom, akin to a huge airwell in the middle of the hotel, a Beijing-based architect with knowledge of the project told The Straits Times.

'The airwell provided the fire with a lot of oxygen, functioning sort of like a chimney,' he said."

I don't think the fact that the building wasn't finished is excuse enough. A fire shouldn't be able to spread like that in such a large complex, even if all protection devices weren't functional yet. The building was in fact partly in use during the Olympics. We're lucky this didn't happen then. Not even the fire in the WTC during 9/11 did spread like this!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
yeesh.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas
no the building does not look like that- more curvy. Due to confidentiality I cannot release pictures. Closer inspection of the concept design- by others - reveals that the double curvature is smoke and mirrors and is essentially a sexy eco-skeleton in front of a conventional if complex stepped facade. So Archicad can handle it and we can make an immediate start without having to go through the pain and expense of training a team in new software such as Digital Project. If we have to do some of skeleton in Rhino and bring in in via Cimema 4D at least the building as such will have BIM compliance. Thanks for your input guys-