Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Libraries not recognized from Server

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mac OSX Sever running AC12 (2420).

We are experiencing random blackouts of our libraries. We decided to keep all libraries on the server for consistency of updating one AC12 library. The AC12 Library is set to 'read only'. Along side, sits our Office Custom Objects Library. Additionally, Project specific libraries are also loading from the same server.

We recently began to have projects start losing objects simultaneously at random times during the day. For example we could have people working on three separate projects going in the office and at say 12:30 pm, everyone would say, "hey did you just lose all your parts?" "yeah, server must be down."

But, the server is not down. In fact, the project specific libraries do load fine. But trying to re-load the AC12 Library from the server does nothing. The only work around is to load the Library from the local drive on each computer. It is strange that Our Office Custom Objects still load, as do the project specific libraries. It is only the AC 12 Library that periodically fails to load.

We also have found odd behavior with Custom Door panels not loading into projects that once worked fine. The list of custom panels was just coming up empty even though they were not listed as missing objects. We did a series of tests that involved unloading the AC12 library (Server), moving the custom panels from the office standards library on the server (along side the AC12 library) to the project specific library (server). and loading the local AC12 library. Viola. Door panels came back. We then reversed the process back to its' original state (custom panels in back into Office standard library, loading AC12 Library from server, and loading project specific library), this should have caused the panels to be missing again, but this time, they appeared to work properly. No logic.

So, it seems that there are problems with the AC12 library being loaded from the server. We can not pinpoint why it happens only that it happens randomly. Eventually, we can get things working again after an hour or so.
4 REPLIES 4
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Happening here. Can't really put a finger on it yet. Random.. Not happening to everyone...

Also, many TEAMWORK issues stemming from SERVER BLACKOUT (though server is availabe to Finder,etc.).

Often these lead to mandatory quitting ArchiCAD and restarting to be able to Send / Receive changes. Sometimes leads to FATAL ERRORS... meaning I have to RESTART COMPUTER and find last saved file to S/R changes.

It's frustrating... now that we're pumping with 5 people on one project...

I can easily loose 3 man hours / day with these issues.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Duane! How are ya?

Thanks for confirming this. I was hoping it was not an issue isolated to some funky setting in our network. IT Department says they don't understand what would be causing this.

Our other libraries DO seem to load fine from the server. It makes me wonder if it has something to do with .lcf container files being buggy. Although I could not get the LCF to unpack on the server. So I never tried to unpack the library and see if it would work that way.

We are considering now the idea of keeping a single AC12 library on the server linked to the local drives. Sort of like an alias, but we can update all libraries in the office through a push from the one on the server. The goal is to keep all local machines current with the AC12 Library updates.

So, we will try this approach today.

Have you found any other network issues aside from libraries? We haven't had too many crashes. FYI-I do know that if you have a placed module with a skylight object in it, it will cause a crashed archiCAD file to be un-openable even if Autosave works.

Thanks again, Duane.
Thomas Holm
Booster
A guess. The Archicad Library is one huge .lcf file. It may be that Archicad 12 is a little sensitive to having an uninterrupted and fast access to this file all the time. But networks chop it into packets that the client machine has to reassemble and they may perhaps not always arrive timely. That your small additional libraries work may be an indication of this problem, which will problably escalate with large networks and a lot of Archicad workstations who generate huge traffic just because the libraries are on the server!

If you instead adopt the recommended procedure to have the standard libraries locally, your network traffic will reduce considerably, your workstations will respond quicker, and the problem will go away.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erika Epstein
Booster
Iv'e noticed that more and more library parts such as doors, windows and section and detail markers call macros rather than have their own GDL script.
If what Thomas described 'breaking it into chunks' is coorect, then could this heavy reliance be exascerbating the problem?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"