BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Working with Libraries

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am just starting to use Archicad v11 at college and also v12 at home. Is it possible to load both libraries? as there seem to be things I am losing in the files when doing work at home. Missing Library info for doors and windows...
Any help much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
AC12 will not read all the 11 parts. There is, however, a v11 transitional library as part of it. Instead, for AC12, load only the full AC11 library. You can dowload it from graphisofts website of bring a copy of it from school.

Are they both education versions?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Barry Kelly
And don't forget if you save a file in version 12 at home you won't be able to open it at all in version 11 at college.
Unless you "Save As" into version 11 format.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Erika wrote:
AC12 will not read all the 11 parts.
This statement isn't true by itself. AC12 does read AC11 library parts. It can even use very old library parts like AC3. The problem is only that you don't have the full AC11 library in the AC12 package. This isn't a big problem though because :
Erika wrote:
There is, however, a v11 transitional library as part of it.
You can use this migration library in conjunction with the v12 library and you have access to the whole AC11 element set in AC12 this way. You have to be careful to use v11 compatible objects only - as there is no way to use v12 objects in AC11.

Regards,
Zsolt
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Anonymous
Not applicable
ztaskai wrote:
Erika wrote:
It can even use very old library parts like AC3.
Well not quite. It's a minor point, but version 4.0 are the oldest parts that are still readable.

All parts from version 3 and earlier required conversion to be used in 4.0 and beyond. This was due to a fundamental change in the underlying geometry of the GDL. The conversion was accomplished with a separate utility and not by AC4 itself. This is of no consequence of course as all such parts were converted (or discarded) almost twenty years ago.

I do find it remarkable that such old parts still work.
rocorona
Booster
Matthew wrote:
I do find it remarkable that such old parts still work
I do find more remarkable that it can't read the old .PLA, but this is another thread...

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10