BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Something new and exciting sounding.. ArchiQuant

Rick Thompson
Expert
I just ran across ArchiQuant by Cigraph. It does quantity takeoffs and estimates. This could be a home run, and out of the park if it works as needed, which it must or why do it. I am going to play with it, and it looks great, but should take awhile to figure out.

If anyone has used it, or Cigraph is listening in, I have a little script I use to convert the objects (rafters etc) generated from the roof wizard that takes the unusable lengths Ac spits out, and converts them to standard lumber ordering lengths... 2x10x10, rather than 2x10-x9'-3.33333". This is essential for a usable bill of materials. How many 2x10x12's to order, versus a poop load of 2x10x of many different inches that translate into 2x10x12's.

The only way I know to do floor framing is to manually place (multiply/drag copies) for all the joist. I key and quantify these by the ID's (2x10x10, 2x10x14 etc) I assume ArchiQuant will organize all the lumber by ID's? If I could get the info on the screen shot to look like it does in the spread sheet, without having to use the spread sheet, I would be a happy camper.

This is very exciting. The first thing available to generate a bill of materials other than the failed GS's ancient built-in version.

I am also assuming this means AC has committed to not doing any development along this line.

Picture-1.jpg
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
39 REPLIES 39
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
Fabrizio wrote:
Dear Achille
I found the guilty component is assigned to an ArchiCAD Library Part named “WC LT 12”
This is the most important part. I would like to know how you did this!
Fabrizio wrote:
1. I selected the object
2. I double-click on the ArchiCAD Object Tool icon in order to display its settings
3. I displayed the ArchiQuant Panel
4. I select the “guilty” component (004.304 fine brick 24x11,5x7.1) that, BTW, I don’t think it was what you was looking for… because I don’t understand why you need to assign brick component to a WC… but maybe I’m wrong (of course you can assign any component you desire to any ArchiCAD elements)
5. I displayed its formula by clicking in the Formula Definition button
6. Here I found you based the calculated quantity on the value of one of the GDL object parameters (one of the most interesting features of ArchiQuant!). This is the parameter named iLocCode (once again, probably you didn’t want to do this!). This is an hidden parameter (for localization function I suppose) that is always zero so… the final result is correct!

Friendly
Fabrizio

Yes i didn't want to assign fire brick on a WC... The reason i did it was because not being able to change the DB, (because i'm using the Demo version) i assign other components that match the measurement unit i want to use regardless of their name. For example i used the "Copper Alloy" component to measure plaster, because i want to have it in square metres instead of cubic metres.
What i wanted to do, was to count the number of plumbing fixtures. I agree that the ability to use the value of GDL object parameters is very interesting, but i didn't see the possibility to simply calculate the number of same objects.
Maybe i'm missing it.

Achille
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Yes... it's so easy counting the objects that probably you are missing something!

To count any kind of element, just select the component you want to assign, and define the formula just typing "1".

If you write a number without linking it at anything else (I mean other quantities or GDL parameters) the number will remain the same.

So, in your example ("count the number of plumbing fixtures"), just do the above procedure and you will get the number of plumbing fixtures.

Friendly,
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
OK, got that! Yes, it was too simple to be true!

Still waiting for the other issue though, it is quite important.

Thanks.
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Once again....

"This is the most important part. I would like to know how you did this! "
Is this the other issue?

If yes, it's quite simple (let me underline I didn't say "simple" but "quite" simple !):

I configured the ArchiQuant list displaying also the Unique ID of the element.
I got the Unique ID of the element to which you assigned the "guilty" formula and then... the nightmare started!

The only way I've been able to locate an ArchiCAD element using its Internal ID is the following:

1. I displayed all the elements labels by showing the Internal ID.
2. I selected all these associative labels
3. I exploded all the selected associative labels
4. I used the Find & Substitute Text ArchiCAD function to find that Internal ID

Unfortunately I never had before this need so I never tried to do something like this in ArchiCAD but I was sure it was possible...
(BTW, if someone else knows a better way please tell me it!)

Unfortunately I was wrong so, I think, the next version of ArchiQuant should provide the users with this function too... because the used workaround isn't so comfortable!

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
... for the kind Karl:
maybe using the SQL environment we can get an easier faster result?

... for Achille:
I didn't check your case but if you correctly handled the "normal" ID of the elements (I mean not the Unique ID but the user ID in the element settings windows) you could do the same in a easiest way:

1. Configure the ArchiQuant list settings by displaying the User IDs.
2. Find the User ID of the "guilty" element
3. Use the ArchiCAD Schedule function to locate the element

Of course this procedure should be the best (easiest and fastest) I didn't use it just because, at least here in Italy, our projects usually contain a lot of "duplicated" User ID (if you copy & paste an element you will have the same User ID).
In any case, probably also facing these duplicates is better than facing the Internal ID matter...

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
Fabrizio wrote:
I think, the next version of ArchiQuant should provide the users with this function too... because the used workaround isn't so comfortable!

Glad you aknowledged that!

Now for another question, since i'm now using the full version of ArchiQuant, is there the possibility to move a component already created to a different Chapter???
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
While you answer i have another question...
I try to create a new chapter with code 010, but every time i get an error message stating: "The code entered corresponds to a component"
Why???
Picture 24.png
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Achille,

I0m sorry but I'm not able to answer in "real time" and it's quite difficult to me to address the same question both on our Forum and on ArchiCAD-Talk.

But here I am... finally!

Ok about the first question, any components is "inside" a certain chapter not because it really inside it (I mean contained into it) but because the first part of his code refers to that Chapter.

For example, just to be clear, if you create a Chapter with code "010" and then create a component with code 010.020 this component is assigned to the Chapter (just because its code starts with "010").
If in the same Component Archive you have a Chapter with code "020" in order to move the created component inside the second Chapter you can edit the component and change its code from 010.020 to 020.020 and when you will save it you will have that component in the desired Chapter (but the original one should be manually deleted ).

Otherwise, as dirty workaround, you can open you Component archive by using a TXT editor and manually modify (using the same logic) the component code (in this case you won't need to delete the original one because you are just changing it).

I know, once again, it's not the best solution... as I told you we are thinking about a drag&drop solution that, for sure, will better fit to your kind request.

About the second question it sounds just a bit strange... Could you be so kind to send me your active component database?

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
Ok Fabrizio, i'll answer in this forum, since there is also the possibility to attach images.

About the workaround you suggested, i tried it but it didn't work as described. A couple of times Archicad crashed on the process, i have the bug report if you want i can send it to you.
What i have ended up doing is changing the component code, and then quiting Archicad and relaunching it... This is the only way i've found to move a component from a chapter to another, but you have to agree it is not very versatile...

About the error message, today that i tried it worked, so consider it solved.
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
Still trying with ArchiQuant, and still having a lot of problems...

1) The workaround you suggested is NOT working, i have components that i try to delete but nothing hapeens, Archicad keeps crashing and the component is still there... it's getting annoying

2) When i change a components list and replace it under the same name nothing happens to the Archicad elements that are linked to that component list. Why?

3) There isn't a Kilogramms unit. Why?

Also, it would be nice to have on the ArchiQuant tab, which Component List has been used for each Archicad element, instead of having only the components.
Learn and get certified!