BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD vs Revit...pros and cons + various

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gidday fellas

I was just curious on everybody's thoughts about Revit and ArchiCAD....I have used ArchiCAD and am getting better and better at it...but i do most of my drafting (my architecture firm) using Smart Architect with AutoCAD. I am a forth year architecture student and have been working in an architecture firm for the last 6 months- cant beleive how much I have learnt!

Anyway, my firm is thinking about purchasing a license for REVIT.. no one else in the firm has had experience with ArchiCAD (well as much as me anyhow) and I was just wondering what everybodys thoughts are on REVIT and ArchiCAD? I have gone through REVIT very briefly and what I have noticed is that ArchiCAD seems to be more of a presentation tool and REVIT more of a professional working drawing tool. Anybody have any other comments or thoughts on the 2 programs so that I could relay them back to my office directors? Whats easier/ etc etc?

Any info much appreciated

Cheers,

Andrew
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable
Having just read a very insightful book, in the tradition of Freakonomics, called "Predictably Irrational" from Dan Ariely from the MIT, some things got a bit clearer.

The book is on social economics, and tries to explain some of human behaviors, or at least describe them.

One thing that I found germane to this endless Revit / ArchiCad discussion is the idea that people fall in love with their possessions, and the more time they spend with them the more irrational they are about their real value.

The seller of a house always thinks it is worth more, and the buyer less.

Worse, neither one can understand the other´s way of looking at that particular house.

I these R/AC discussions, we always have two sellers and no buyer, so it will never come to any conclusion.

That said, I believe my Archicad is beautiful and Revit is garbage.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
That said, I believe my Archicad is beautiful and Revit is garbage.

I guess I am in the privileged class having multiple houses. Each with its own grand views and clogged drains. I also like NavisWorks, Solibri and Tekla for their special qualities. I even enjoy visiting AutoCAD now and then since I never have to stay long.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
I guess I am in the privileged class having multiple houses. Each with its own grand views and clogged drains. I also like NavisWorks, Solibri and Tekla for their special qualities. I even enjoy visiting AutoCAD now and then since I never have to stay long.
You are a man with no true love. A rare breed..
😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
Matthew wrote:
You are a man with no true love. A rare breed..
😉
Oh no. Many true loves. But they aren't executables.
Learn and get certified!