Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Advice on teaching REVIT users ArchiCAD

JaredBanks
Mentor
Anyone have any advice on teaching REVIT users ArchiCAD? I've found that the sooner a new user starts focusing on using ArchiCAD as ArchiCAD and not trying to use it like a former drafting program, the better. This is much easier done when the previous program the user knew was AutoCAD. I find there's more resistance with REVIT. "Well in REVIT if I did this it'd work. Why can't this program function exactly like that?" I'm hoping that I can point out some things that happen in the early stages of modeling to help highlight the joys of working in ArchiCAD v11. So far some of the things I've mentioned haven't left this user that impressed...

Thoughts? Teaching techniques you've used?

Thanks.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
53 REPLIES 53
Brett Brown
Advocate
s2art wrote:

...except when in shadow, mine turns yellow (so I changed pen 81 in my layout book pen settings)

Hi Stuart, When you say this, do you mean the actual drawing settings of the drawing in the layout book (where you would change to a different pen set) or something completely different?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brett

We have one pen set for modeling (full colour) and another for general printing which is assigned to drawings on layouts, with the same pen thicknesses as the first set but with pens 1-18 and pen 20 (which we use for most things) all set to print black. Other pens remain in their various colours. Pen 81 seems to be automatically assigned to vectorial fills in distant areas of elevations so it's just a minor tweak to our set-up.

We tend not to use the templates as issued by Cadimage but have our own templates with these pre-set.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Laura wrote:
Guys -- I'm talking about differentiating between the 'standard' Vectorial 3D Hatching Pen and the Marked Distant Area Vectorial Hatching Pen. I believe that regardless of your Material settings, the Marked Distant Area Vectorial Hatching Pen is the same as the Marked Distant Area Uncut Contours Pen.
...except when in shadow, mine turns yellow (so I changed pen 81 in my layout book pen settings)
Hi Stuart,

Have you spotted the beautiful AC logic that controls this?

When 'Own Material Colours' is chosen for the marked distant area, the pen for hatches in shadow is actually controlled by the fill pen for the shadow polygons (which is only activated by selecting 'Nothing' or 'Uniform Pencolour'). Even if you change back to 'Own Material Colours' and this setting is hidden, it still has an effect!

It gave me an afternoons headscratching before I noticed this!
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Peter wrote:
It gave me an afternoons headscratching before I noticed this!
This is what I'm talking about. The Marked Distant Area is a good start, it just doesn't appear to be finished yet!
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5