BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

problems with SEO's

Anonymous
Not applicable
Having problems with my SEO’s

Im picking half a dozen operators and a single target and doing a subtraction with upward extrusion... some of the areas will subtract and some will not.. I try the ones that don’t work individually and still those particular sections wont subtract from my target..
This is happening quite a lot for me , not on in just one job. Any ideas what might be causing it.

No layers are locked
Im using slabs and roof plains to subtract sections from a mesh (site terrain)
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
heres a screen shot.. the white and red sections are my operators, and the green is the target... as u can see its worked everywhere except the top left hand white slab...
seo.JPG
Barry Kelly
Are the slabs and the mesh in different layers with different intersection priorities.
Seems if they are in the same layer or different layers with the same intersection priority then they may not SEO depending on how the elements are positioned relative to each other.

See this post and it should make some sense.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=123510&highlight=beam#123510

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
how do i change the intersection priority ???? :S is it the number on teh layer under teh layer list? if so i made the slabs 2 and left teh mesh 1 and still no love

all the items are on differnt layers.
Anonymous
Not applicable
also iv tried doin git abotu 10 times now and depending on what items i select in what order its a differnt item that doesnt cut from the mesh.. as if theres a numbered linit of how many items im aloud to cut from teh mesh
Barry Kelly
GeNOS wrote:
how do i change the intersection priority ???? :S is it the number on teh layer under teh layer list? if so i made the slabs 2 and left teh mesh 1 and still no love

Yes the numbers in the layer list.
make sure you change i tin the layer combination otherwise it will just reset back to what it was before when you use that layer combination again.

Is that just one big mesh? - maybe try breaking it up.
Does the slab actually intersect with the mesh? - if not no subtract with upward extrusion will work.

Maybe the red slabs are cutting away the mesh in a way that the white slab can no longer operate on it.
Try undoing all of the SEOs and the just subtracting just that one white slab.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
if i select teh mesh and pick Superficies it looks fine, expect ehen i hid my SEO scuting slabs tehres bottomless holes.. so i need to use the "creat solid body" option and this it when it shows it incorrectly
Barry Kelly
It looks to me like the red elements are cutting away the mesh and leaving behind parts that can then not be cut by the white slabs.

Can you create one big slab that is the overall shape of all the elements and cut just that slab rather than all the individual ones?
The one big slab can then be placed on a hidden layer so it is never seen.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
GeNOS wrote:

Yes the numbers in the layer list.
make sure you change i tin the layer combination otherwise it will just reset back to what it was before when you use that layer combination again.

Is that just one big mesh? - maybe try breaking it up.
Does the slab actually intersect with the mesh? - if not no subtract with upward extrusion will work.

Maybe the red slabs are cutting away the mesh in a way that the white slab can no longer operate on it.
Try undoing all of the SEOs and the just subtracting just that one white slab.

Barry.
yeah its one big mesh, and all the slabs defiantly start below the surface of the mesh, (some areas stick out the top but mostly are under the surface.. all the separate slabs and roofs are needed as there at different heights and angles.

none of the elements overlap, so they are only cutting whats above them in the mesh.

i tried changing the intersection priority aswel and made a separate layer combination for it.. still nothing.
Barry Kelly
GeNOS wrote:
yeah its one big mesh, and all the slabs defiantly start below the surface of the mesh, (some areas stick out the top but mostly are under the surface..
Maybe it is because some of the elements are completely below the surface of the mesh and maybe some are even below the base of the mesh.
This may cause a problem similar to the other post I linked to before.
GeNOS wrote:
none of the elements overlap, so they are only cutting whats above them in the mesh.
This could be the problem as well.
Maybe some are cutting away parts of the mesh leaving artifacts that the other elements can't cut away.
Or maybe it is the way the elements touch.
Maybe they do overlap by the smallest of amounts or maybe they actuall need to overlap a little.

GeNOS wrote:
all the separate slabs and roofs are needed as there at different heights and angles.
Keep all the separate elements but create one new slab that has the same shape as all the elements put together.
Give it a height that starts below the mesh and extends completely above the mesh.
Then use that slab for the SEO and hide it in a layer that is turned off.
If that doesn't work I am at a loss at to what will.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!