Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

trace and reference - alignment?

cremsberg
Participant
Is there some trick to get sections to align as one would expect using Trace & Reference default position? By the way, the "default position" also seems to change erratically.
Claire Remsberg

Remsberg Architecture, P.A.

MacBook Pro, OSX 12.6, ArchiCAD v25 (5010)
10 REPLIES 10
Karl Ottenstein
The cuts are so different, I cannot tell for sure - but is it possible the one section is 'looking' in one direction and the other in the opposite, so that the reference needs to be mirrored anyway to be aligned? And are the ends of the section cut lines in the same relative positions?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
cremsberg
Participant
Both section cuts are looking in the same direction and the ends of the section lines are aligned with each other in plan. Both section cut lines are the same length. Has anyone seen problem this before?
Claire Remsberg

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
cremsberg wrote:
By the way, the "default position" also seems to change erratically.
I've noticed this problem when referencing external plans, but have not had any problems (yet) with S/E references.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Two views can be automatically aligned in both X and Y direction only if one is a direct "derivative" of the other. E.g. a floor plan, and a section placed on that floor plan. Or a section, and a detail placed on that section. Two sections do not have that relationship, so ArchiCAD can not align them. They will be vertically aligned, and placed next to each other. You can use the "drag reference" command to manually align them in X direction.

Greg
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
cremsberg
Participant
It seems like since every view has at least 2 coordinate dimensions, that ArchiCAD should know how to correctly align them along shared coordinates, especially when section/elevations are parallel. Isn't this a reasonable assumption? Greg, I hear you say this is not currently possible, but can it be a wish for future versions? In the meantime, I will try manually aligning them using a reference line or point.

What is currently determining how ghosted section/elevations default-align with each other? It seems so random.
Claire Remsberg

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I always supposed that if one has two Sections and the Section Lines of these two Sections are parallel with each other and they are both looking in the same direction then they should be able to align because in that case the position of the building is exactly the same relative to the Project Origin.
I guess that would be an added intelligence on the part of the program to recognize such cases.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
laszlonagy wrote:
I always supposed that if one has two Sections and the Section Lines of these two Sections are parallel with each other and they are both looking in the same direction then they should be able to align because in that case the position of the building is exactly the same relative to the Project Origin.
I guess that would be an added intelligence on the part of the program to recognize such cases.
Claire, time for this to be a wish.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Stress Co_
Advisor
Link to Claire's WISH
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Stress wrote:
Link to Claire's WISH
----.---Link to Marc: I voted!

Cheers,
Link.