Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Placing custom window on a wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can not to edit the symbol of a archicad 12 window, it does not have a 2d script!! and I gave up...., so I am making my own window as a 3d model and I can easily edit the 2d symbol. .. the problem is when I place the window on the wall it looks good on floor plan but in 3d view the window is outside the wall.. ^&%$^&%!!!
( I will have to create every different size window, because if I make it bigger, the jamb will distort ..) anyway, for now i just want my window to be in the wall , not sticking out .

Does anyone knows how to create a smart/stretchy object ??
any books out there??

Thanks,
Carmen
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
Carmen,

My guess is that you saved it as an object. You need to save it as a window to be able to adjust it correctly.

Doug
Anonymous
Not applicable
Doug, Thanks for replying.
I did saved it as a window!.. but on 3d view the wall has a hole and the window is just touching the wall!!( in a 2x6 wall the window is 5 1/2 inches off)
Anonymous
Not applicable
hey Doug,
This is going to sound dumb , but .. do you know why I appear to be as a guest and you as an active member? ( I joined last year but is the first time i actually post anything).
Anonymous
Not applicable
From the FAQ Section of Archicad Talk...
How do I change my rank?
In general you cannot directly change the wording of any rank (ranks appear below your username in topics and on your profile depending on the style used). Most boards use ranks to indicate the number of posts you have made and to identify certain users. For example, moderators and administrators may have a special rank. Please do not abuse the board by posting unnecessarily just to increase your rank -- you will probably find the moderator or administrator will simply lower your post count.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
carmen83353 wrote:
hey Doug,
This is going to sound dumb , but .. do you know why I appear to be as a guest and you as an active member? ( I joined last year but is the first time i actually post anything).
If you have a couple of post, you automatically become New Member instead of Guest. You now have 5 so you are fine.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
carmen83353 wrote:
I did saved it as a window!.. but on 3d view the wall has a hole and the window is just touching the wall!!( in a 2x6 wall the window is 5 1/2 inches off)
Carmen:

You may have created the window at the wrong "z" height. See page 261 of the AC 12 GDL Reference Guide (DOORS AND WINDOWS) for some information about the correct "z" heights relative to Project Zero when creating doors and windows.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Carmen wrote
the problem is when I place the window on the wall it looks good on floor plan but in 3d view the window is outside the wall..
Carmen,
When you finish constructing your model make sure that the bottom center of your window is at the project origin. This will be the starting point for the script. Then(assuming you do it in plan lying flat) raise or lower the entire model so that Project 0 splits it in half horizontally (as seen from an elevation or section view). This should place it in the wall properly.

Doug
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Doug,
You wrote:
"raise or lower the entire model so that Project 0 splits it in half horizontally"
I am not sure this is right. Would this not cause half of the assembly to
project beyond the outside of the wall ?
I would say raise or lower the entire model so
that the lower face of the frame/jamb is at project 0, the exterior trim
is below project 0 and every thing else is at or above project 0.
Also, make the model on the first floor plan. I once made a window
on a story that was 100 feet below story one and when I placed the
window it showed up 100 feet outside of the wall.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peter,

I tried this a little while ago and it seemd to work. From what I see the auto script places "Z" zero at the center of the wall and builds the window from there outward. I guess that project zero is "Z" (or ZZYZX) zero in the script.

Doug