Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Position of open windows/views change when opening a project

Anonymous
Not applicable
Silly but annoying problem: I save all of my preferences in the Work Environment and have set up profiles based on the screen size i.e. 20" screen vs laptop. When I reopen the project the next time all the windows are back to where they were. I have tried selecting the saved profile I want to use and 'redefining' it with the current settings but the position of the windows shifts back after I close and reopen the projects.
6 REPLIES 6
Erika Epstein
Booster
You need to create a work environment (WE).
-Arrange your windows and palettes etc. the way you want them. -Options>Work Environment>Palettes Schemes.
-Store your palette setting and then redefine your WE to include this palette scheme.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did that and every time the position of the windows changes I go back and relocate them; I open the Work Environment, select the palettes (they are always on custom rather than the profile I last saved the project in) redefine and apply the scheme. I then close WE, reopen it and the palettes are on custom again. Like I said, annoying.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Nick,
You have a NICK'S PALETTE SCHEME. You highlight this scheme and then click REDEFINE.

Is NICK'S PALETTE SCHEME part of NICK'S WORK ENVIRONMENT? If not, then edit NICK'S WORK ENVIRONMENT to include NICK'S PALETTE SCHEME.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
I think Nick has run into a Mac implementation issue that was brought up in another thread...

Nick, your palettes stay where they belong, right? Is it just the windows (plan, section, layouts) that you are talking about?

If so, some of us have found that the 3D window decides to move itself to the upper left corner of the screen, keeping the saved size, but not the saved position. But, all palettes and other windows stay where they were saved in the WE.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, the drawing palettes do not change in location or type. It is the windows onto the plans, sections, details, elevations, etc. that move. I open WE and select the profile I want (and used the last time I saved) and hit redefine to match the current condition. Never works.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
I think Nick has run into a Mac implementation issue that was brought up in another thread...

Nick, your palettes stay where they belong, right? Is it just the windows (plan, section, layouts) that you are talking about?

If so, some of us have found that the 3D window decides to move itself to the upper left corner of the screen, keeping the saved size, but not the saved position. But, all palettes and other windows stay where they were saved in the WE.

Karl
Yes exactly! We have this same issue. I've found that hitting F8 (thus opening Spaces) allows you to move the windows around the workspace without having to move your palettes around every…single…time…

This is annoying though, especially as enabling Spaces sometimes makes the 2D window disappear, though the project is still open. The only way to fix that that I've found is to close and reopen the project.