BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

Zermatt [and in 2009: Virtual Building Explorer]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anybody heard some news about the zermatt engine? We know it sort of stopped beeing developed any further but any idea if there is still a future for this product?

Thanks Carsten
142 REPLIES 142
Karl Ottenstein
Carstene wrote:
From the silence here I take it none has a clue yet?
This is not a Graphisoft support channel. You need to contact your reseller and/or local technical support. This is a user-to-user forum, so people only provide solutions to problems that they have encountered. Once you resolve your issue with technical support, I hope you'll post the solution here to benefit others.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
When starting Virtual Building Explorer program check your system performance .If it consider you have not enough "juice" to run it shut down the shadow features . But the software is stupid because i have a verry good system (Intel quad q9450 /hd4870(ati) videocard with 4gb_memory) and all top games run smooth .

I MANAGE TRICK THIS LIMITATION ONLY BY SETTING :

1 Manual setting your aplication priority

Start Virtual Building Explorer
Hit CtrlL_Alt+ Del to Start the Task Manager.
Right-click a process (VBE . exe or Engine.zzz ) and select Set Priority.
Set the maximum or realtime priority you want for VBE . exe or Engine.zzz process.

2 Or you can use Prio - Process Priority Saver

- a freeware from

http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html
to do this for you automatically .

When you run the Virtual Building Explorer directly from archicad you must change the priority for "Engine.zzz" file
Mine is located in
H:\Program Files\Graphisoft\Virtual Building Explorer\System

I reccomend the Prio software because it remeber your settings every time you start the application
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have it up and running. Its great!!! Very good reviews from my client contractor. For my practice this is an indispensable tool. Thank-you GraphiSOFT.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Carstene wrote:
From the silence here I take it none has a clue yet?
This is not a Graphisoft support channel. You need to contact your reseller and/or local technical support. This is a user-to-user forum, so people only provide solutions to problems that they have encountered. Once you resolve your issue with technical support, I hope you'll post the solution here to benefit others.

Cheers,
Karl
Karl

I did call Graphisoft Australia, but they could not help me, no solution. The only thing they suggested is that we have a look at the examples and info on the Website to decide if we like to by the product !!

Worst marketing ever, but expected no better after they way they have been marketing ArchiCAD the last , well almost 20 years.

Shame the product looks great and as we have used Zermatt for the last couple of years we know how cool this product is, but we still need to test it before we consider bying it.

It's odd the trial licencing system seems to work in other countrys?

Cheers Carsten
Pertti Paasky
Expert
I installed the Win VBE trial version. Then I bought the finnish version, that´s why I had to change the program.
Then I removed it using Windows control panel, which was a mistake; it must be removed by the remover.
The Graphisoft VBE lisence manager server (?) blocked me, so GS had to free my lisence.
It took 3 days to get it back to bussines.

VBE gives only 7 tries to change the lisence per 24 hours? Why not 7*70 ?

Why can´t the lisence be associated with the USB dongle number only?

Now I have made some Global Illumination tests. For my surprise, GI mixes textures. The user interface texture appears in GI renderings...
Has anyone noticed the same?
- AC-24 FIN - WIN 10 - HP Zbook -
“A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.”
George M. Moore, Jr.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Our firm is debating between purchasing Zermatt or VBE... we are unable to make a decision and would love some help.

ZERMATT

*advantage of being able to import 3ds files (useful as we use Max to touch up models, occasionally)
*'looks' better - VBE still looks slightly like archicad in 3d, somewhat (ie: not as slick... more 'cartoony' - not as evocative)

GRAPHISOFT VBE

*direct export from archi - there are 'bounding' elements; can't walk through doors/walls, for eg. In Zermatt, clients may become disorientated by being able to fly through walls, etc.
*might last-longer than zermatt (zermatt's checkered history of completely stopping sales, for a while)
*hidden-line views
*buggy - certain library parts (ie: door handle) are stretched into the distance - hope this makes sense. I can include a screen, if it is important.

If anyone has tried both, I'd appreciate any input. I think we would go-for VBE if we could get it to look the same as Zermatt and if the library parts to behave as expected. Also, having the wall/floor/stair/window boundaries to work.

Thanks for any help. 🙂

Adam.
Pertti Paasky
Expert
I think VBE is a faster tool than Zermatt, if You need to uppdate Your virtual model often. Also trasparent textures made by alpha channel are exported automatically in VBE. If You use Zermatt, then You have to change the 3ds exported *.bmp file to a 4-channel bitmap and define the alpha channel.
- AC-24 FIN - WIN 10 - HP Zbook -
“A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.”
George M. Moore, Jr.
Judit Boros
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Thanks for the wishes and the comments. We do our best to incorporate these in future versions of VBE.

to Whatever: wish has been added for section generation in VBE.
to Krippahl: wish has been added for info from selected items.
to David Collins: wish has been added to be able to add extra light sources
to Pertti Paasky and to all others: The problem where part VBE's UI appears as texture on building elements has been reported to the developer. Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

Cheers,
Judit Boros

Technical Support Team

Graphisoft

Budapest, Hungary

archicadwiki - the ArchiCAD knowledge base
Anonymous
Not applicable
judit

wish list adds to a wonder AC addition

1. program tied to AC usb dongle
2. program opens in "window" and does not capture entire computer.
3. correlation between AC project/location, project north and sun location by date and time.

Thanks, Cary
Anonymous
Not applicable
ajg wrote:
Hi all,

Our firm is debating between purchasing Zermatt or VBE... we are unable to make a decision and would love some help.

ZERMATT

*advantage of being able to import 3ds files (useful as we use Max to touch up models, occasionally)
*'looks' better - VBE still looks slightly like archicad in 3d, somewhat (ie: not as slick... more 'cartoony' - not as evocative)

GRAPHISOFT VBE

*direct export from archi - there are 'bounding' elements; can't walk through doors/walls, for eg. In Zermatt, clients may become disorientated by being able to fly through walls, etc.
*might last-longer than zermatt (zermatt's checkered history of completely stopping sales, for a while)
*hidden-line views
*buggy - certain library parts (ie: door handle) are stretched into the distance - hope this makes sense. I can include a screen, if it is important.

If anyone has tried both, I'd appreciate any input. I think we would go-for VBE if we could get it to look the same as Zermatt and if the library parts to behave as expected. Also, having the wall/floor/stair/window boundaries to work.

Thanks for any help. 🙂

Adam.
Adam

We have used Zermatt for a couple of years and was quite good.
Seeing thv VBE examples I don't see much of a difference, so I don't think this is an issue for you.
As you mentioned you are concerned about the long life of Zermatt so you should be, then about a year ago it all stopped and even now they back up and running we still don't get any more support. We have the ArchiCAD version, which you can't by anymore, it's only for 3D Studio Max now. We asked if there is an upgrade path for us as we have a full license but they said no we would have to by the software again, full price, thanks but no thanks.

Hope this helps deceifing which way to go. VBE is sure the saver option.

Cheers Carsten
Learn and get certified!