BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

CONCEPTUAL MODELLING TOOLS????????

Anonymous
Not applicable
I WATCHED THE PROMOTION VIDEOS FOR REVIT 2010 AND WAS REALY IMPRESSED! :
SKETCHUP LIKE TOOLS-MASSING TOOLS FOR CONCEPTUAL MODELLING-IMPROVED UI.

ARCHICAD (I AM AN ARCHICAD USER) IS REALLY BEHIND THE DEVELOPMENTS AND IMPROVEMENTS IN CONCEPTUAL MODELLING CAPABILITIES AND FREESTYLE 3D MODELLING. ALSO U CANNOT CONVERT A 3D MODEL IN SLABS-CURTAIN WALLS-ROOF ETC LIKE REVIT DOES.

P.S. and a final wish: LOCKING RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN ELEMENTS AND PARAMETRIC RELATIONSHIPS LIKE AUTOCAD 2010 AND RHINO GRASSHOPPER

http://thelowend.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/more-revit-2010-news-new-massing-tools/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhz4uyXKsmQ&hl=el
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have attended a Revit presentation and was impressed by these things too! Essential!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Impressive - switching the app may be the only way to have these functions. I don t belive GDL can handle this
Anonymous
Not applicable
Switching to Autodesk is not an "option", Dirk! 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dirk wrote:
Impressive - switching the app may be the only way to have these functions. I don t belive GDL can handle this
You get a little bit of push and pull (in 3 directions) with complex profile walls tool, by creating some generic volumes. For GDL, we have to wait for Objective add-on to pull it out of ArchiCad hat.
Joseph
owen
Newcomer
Joseph wrote:
Dirk wrote:
You get a little bit of push and pull (in 3 directions) with complex profile walls tool, by creating some generic volumes. For GDL, we have to wait for Objective add-on to pull it out of ArchiCad hat.
Joseph
Impressive stuff indeed. GS know what they are up against and i'm sure they have their own plans (but are they the right plans?)

It is possible for GS to add new GDL commands - so even if all the required commands are not present now they could be added if GS chose to. Just using that video as an example, in GDL we already have a SPLINE2 command which could be leveraged by new tools to create such a scriptable extrusion .. i imagine creating a new commands such as a SPLINE3 would be possible. Of course all of this should be accessible via a new graphical GDL editor and new tools should be scriptable via GDL (perhaps a new panel in each tool where you can associate a GDL script from your libraries which then controls that elements parameters)

cheers,

os

PS. I have always thought GS should pay Ralph (@Encina) a big pile of cash to work for them and really push their GDL development. AC would be much better for it.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I AM SURE GONA TRY THE AUTOCAD 2010 AND REVIT 2010. ALTHOUGH I AM AN ARCHICAD USER, I AM NOT BIASED AND NOT OPENMINDED.
THE COMPETITION IS WHAT DRIVES THE IMPROVEMENT AND ΤHE DEVELOPMENT OF THE AEC SOFTWARE.

PARAMETRICS, MASSING STUDIES, THE ABILITY TO CREATE ALTERNATIVE SOLUTIONS, HISTORY RECORDING OF COMMANDS AND MANY OTHER PARADIGMS FROM OTHER APPLICATIONS -LIKE MAYA, RHINO, SOLIDWORKS- ARE ESSENTIAL ADDITIONS TO FUTURE RELEASES OF ARCHICAD.

I hope REVIT will push the development of ARCHICAD much further.

Tasos
GREECE
Barry Kelly
idestk wrote:
...I AM NOT BIASED AND NOT OPENMINDED.
No, just confused.

Barry (joking of course).
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Funny, the conceptual tool (and other 2010 improvements) made me call the local dealer asking for a price...

Count me in the 'confused' section, also.
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
cool stuff, revit rocks . . . i wish that archicad can do something sim...but i think this is not possible in archicad...can u do it GS, can u
Learn and get certified!