Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New User Struggles-- on the simplest things

DaveOlufs
Participant
Even though I have over six years AC experience v5 thru v7, I'm really struggling to do simple things.

1- I have tried to create 12'Wx14'H overhead door with glazing panels. The best I can do is to show 4 windows.

2- I've tried to create a simple fixed aluminum frame window with a 2"Wx4.5"D frame with double glazed glass. I'm not even close as I've never seen frames like I've created.

3- I can't even get the perimeter line of the floor slab to show up in plan view.

These three items have taken 4 hours and I have nothing worthy to view. This is really humbling to be so non-productive and useless. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave Olufs
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
28 REPLIES 28
DaveOlufs
Participant
Being a newbie, I also think the windows are a mess as well.

See attached screen shot. This is some creation that I know does not look like this in the real world. I'm trying to create an existing building so I can renovate it. I've spent hours on these windows and this is what I've got.

Impressive?

I revised the window from the migration library v11 but in plan there is no sill and looks like the window goes to the floor. In elevation and 3d, it looks correct.
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hi Dave,
The archicad garage doors are a long-known problem. I've created many custom panels as others suggested here to get around them.
You might also look into Ralph Wessel's Objective; it addresses beautifully many of archicad's short-comings.

Objective

If you post pictures of the existing building; the doors and windows you are trying to reproduce; we could be more specific in our help/solutions.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
DaveOlufs
Participant
Erika,

It's a W Fix 12. I've tried the metal windows, fixed or casement as well. This came nearest to my desired outcome until I saw the elevations and 3d.

It seems most of the windows are disjointed for lack of a better term. Most of the windows are operable showing the frame and sashes. According to recent phone conversations, v12 tried to consolidate storefront windows and doors into the curtain wall tool.

I'm looking for a single wall puncture with a fixed frame like a 'Kawneer' type window. With this, I can do a multitude of window systems, ganged, etc. Although as a newbie, I'm probably way off.
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
DaveOlufs wrote:
It's a W Fix 12. I've tried the metal windows, fixed or casement as well. This came nearest to my desired outcome until I saw the elevations and 3d.

It seems most of the windows are disjointed for lack of a better term. Most of the windows are operable showing the frame and sashes. According to recent phone conversations, v12 tried to consolidate storefront windows and doors into the curtain wall tool.

I'm looking for a single wall puncture with a fixed frame like a 'Kawneer' type window. With this, I can do a multitude of window systems, ganged, etc. Although as a newbie, I'm probably way off.
Have you tried the Storefront Objects from the AC11 Subset Library?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Erich
Contributor
Dave,

I assume that since you mentioned Kawneer, that you are working with storefront. You really should look at the Curtain wall tool in Archicad for this work rather than window parts.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Erika Epstein
Booster
12 Doors and windows are a well-known mess. That's why they included the 11 migration library. In there is also the storefront windows.
Not sure what kind of sill you are looking for...
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
DaveOlufs
Participant
What worked was the v12 curved metal window. There was a button to turn the curve off. For a single wall puncture, it worked.

I also was able to get a single storefront window to work from v11 library but it looked as though it went to the floor but in section, elevation and 3d it was rendered correctly.

Thanks to everyone.
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

Anonymous
Not applicable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbet

I think the problem with your fixed window was that as you eliminate extra stuff (e.g. exterior sill) there is the extra opening parameter you might need to adjust.

It is not very impressive when at a training/consultation session the client asks for a simple (change on a) window or door. I try to prepare favorites for the commonly asked ones, because figuring out if it is possible with a given library part and if yes, how - usually puts on the brakes on the smooth workflow.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
DaveOlufs wrote:
You might get the results you want with the Modular Joinery object - refer to this thread.

You have a huge variety of options for frame layout, window/door/panel configurations, frame/mullion/rail sizes etc. I've attached an example image. This is a regular door/window object, so it can be placed directly into walls.
Ralph Wessel BArch