BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

switching from revit to archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi, i'm new to archicad... kinda. i used version 6 ages ago but have been using revit since 2006. i thought it would be a piece of cake getting back into archicad but find i'm mistaken. i've done the basic interactive training but have difficulty doing the exercises on my own. could be because i'm trying the same approach as in revit, which doesn't work, obviously.

anyone here made the switch? any tips on how to un-revit my thinking?
117 REPLIES 117
Matthew wrote:
If GS were to reorganize the program to have the outward clarity and consistency of Revit while retaining all of its sophisticated capabilities and making them more accessible, I think its advantages would be far more evident to more users.

I wonder sometimes if GS were to just make all the existing features more obvious and accessible (adding no new functions) that this might seem to many to be the biggest upgrade ever.
Matthew,
I personally think the real problem is one of consistent TRAINING options, rather than consistent menus. I don't find AC's menu structure or user interface to be particularly bad or inaccessible, but learning the "real work" on speeding up production has been more difficult than it needs to be. You can learn the basics pretty easily through the interactive training series, I guess, but there is very little to take you to the next level, which is where the frustration really sets in. Maybe the "Learn Virtual" series will do this, but Revit has far more 3rd party training materials: books, classes, DVDs, online tutorials, etc.

For example, Reviters spend lots of time learning how to create families, and then denigrate GDL as being too difficult to learn. Well, it IS difficult, but only because you have to brace yourself for a lot of self-instruction with boring manuals like the GDL Reference Guide. If GS had a readily available step-by-step GDL training series that could get people up to speed in GDL as quickly as people get up to speed with Revit families, then I think you'd see some interesting competition.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
I personally think the real problem is one of consistent TRAINING options, rather than consistent menus.
How often do you train new users? If you find this to be easy I'm sure that Link and Karl and I as well as many others would like to know your secret. 😉

I don't mean to sound snarky here so please don't take this the wrong way. I assume that you are a relatively long time user and have learned like the rest of us to adapt to the wide variety of methods and behaviors over the years.

The difficulty comes when you have to explain to someone things like "you can do that in the 3D window, but not in section/elevation view" and "oh, you make ceilings with the slab or roof tool, and in the latter case you can place lights with the skylight tool but in the former you use the chair tool". The quirks and variations in behaviors, interface elements and workarounds start to pile up in the view of new users to the point of absurdity. When I have trained new people I always try to start with the clear, consistent, elegant and highly productive aspects of the program, but since everyone has specific needs and those frequently require workarounds, it is impossible to insulate them from the quirks and complexities for long.
For example, Reviters spend lots of time learning how to create families, and then denigrate GDL as being too difficult to learn. Well, it IS difficult, but only because you have to brace yourself for a lot of self-instruction with boring manuals like the GDL Reference Guide. If GS had a readily available step-by-step GDL training series that could get people up to speed in GDL as quickly as people get up to speed with Revit families, then I think you'd see some interesting competition.
I agree that more people should probably learn the basics of making library parts (with and without GDL programming) but this really needs to get easier. Adding the ability to define dimension parameters graphically in the 3D 2D full view of the library part editor would immediately push AC ahead of Revit as far as I can see.
Matthew wrote:
The difficulty comes when you have to explain to someone things like "you can do that in the 3D window, but not in section/elevation view" and "oh, you make ceilings with the slab or roof tool, and in the latter case you can place lights with the skylight tool but in the former you use the chair tool". The quirks and variations in behaviors, interface elements and workarounds start to pile up in the view of new users to the point of absurdity. When I have trained new people I always try to start with the clear, consistent, elegant and highly productive aspects of the program, but since everyone has specific needs and those frequently require workarounds, it is impossible to insulate them from the quirks and complexities for long.
This is pretty much what I'm saying -- that what keeps people from easily adopting AC is that they require personal training to learn the intricacies of being productive, and short of finding a personal tutor like you, Link, or Karl, they are pretty much screwed. While making the interface and behaviors more consistent is a good thing, it isn't going to eliminate training needs.

When I've tried to learn Revit, it seems on the face very consistent, but very deep to get down into the intricacies and subtleties. I hate the "spreadsheet" interface where you have to "drill down" to get to what you have to change. I like that Archicad has everything on a fairly superficial level for editing.

But as a prospective new user who knows they are in for an initial wild ride regardless of the software they choose, I can easily get support in a variety of "how to" books for Revit, like "Mastering Revit Architecture 2008," Paul Aubin's books, Ed Goldberg's books, and a host of others. Where is a current similar book for Archicad?

Then there are many available classes for Revit through various training centers around the Bay Area, as well as numerous online options. We've got ONE person around here (Tom Simmons) who teaches a fairly regular and open class for Archicad. If I lived in an outlying area, my options would be even more limited. So if I were a firm trying to move to BIM, I think the actual choice of software would be more heavily influenced by the issues of getting my employees up to speed and perpetually trained and upgraded, than by which software has a better interface.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Shivang Rajvir
Participant
I am 100% agree with you and that is why i have started facilitating for training.
ARCHICAD Lover

http://www.dimensionplus.in

Core i7 3.4 GHz, AC 9 to 22

MacBook Air Core i3 1.6 GHz - 8 Gb RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
When I've tried to learn Revit, it seems on the face very consistent, but very deep to get down into the intricacies and subtleties. I hate the "spreadsheet" interface where you have to "drill down" to get to what you have to change. I like that Archicad has everything on a fairly superficial level for editing.
The accessibility of ArchiCAD's features is a big advantage. Revit has nothing to match the Pet Palette nor Info Box. Revit's advantage in simple consistency is undermined by the fact that, while it is simple to learn where to find things, it is consistently tedious to do so.
So if I were a firm trying to move to BIM, I think the actual choice of software would be more heavily influenced by the issues of getting my employees up to speed and perpetually trained and upgraded, than by which software has a better interface.
These are not unrelated issues. A clear and consistent interface makes training and maintenance much more productive and affordable.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i think both program would have their own advantage and own logic to how they deal with problems. for example, some guys may like to create a plain and extrude it to be a wall, while archicad's concept is to set parameter to create a wall.

how can you compare guitar and piano for their performance in playing music, they are different concept instrument in playing music. which is better? no real answer.

we use different cad to produce drawings, to present ideas,etc. i think revit and archicad are different concept programme, we can not compare them directly(while you can see the projects in the real world which produced by both programmes are so great indeed). if you are in revit mind, you will use revit and bang archicad, if you are in archicad mind, you will use archicad and bang revit.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i haven't visited this forum for many months but i had a question regarding the use of digital pens (and tablet) for archicad (see under 'hardware').

since starting this topic, i've moved to another continent, switched employers, platforms (remind me to change my profile), mindset.. well, not really... at least not completely with regards to the latter.

one of the features i'm most impressed with about archicad its rendering engine. with revit (i was using ver 9 so things may have changed since) it took so long to do a high resolution rendering that you can do your shopping, have lunch or take a nap before it's done. i also like archicad's 'sketch' mode option.

but there are still features of revit that i find superior to archicad and one of them is its ease of use. archicad has many 'hidden' settings which one cannot logically discern.

i like archicad's SEO (solid element operation) something revit doesn't have but then again doesn't really need as one can directly edit the geometry of, say, a wall.

i also miss revit's relationships like locking an element's position to another element, or attaching a wall to a roof or storey, etc.

there are many more things in which revit differs from archicad or vice versa but i'm too tired at the moment to get into them. maybe next time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just wanted to lend some support to your argument greenfin. I am switching from Revit to archicad and everyday i think to my self "if only i was using revit i could do_____(fill in the blank). You have to have training on either platform obviously, but i was able to pick revit up so much faster and use it effectively. I still feel like i wast a ton of time in archicad looking for hidden menus and buttons. I miss Revits clean interface and intuitive controls, and i want to take the Pet pallet and smash it with a 2x4. Just to let you know, since Revit V9, revit 2009 and 2010 now use the same rendering engine as 3d studio Max and is capable of some amazing rendering results, i recommend checking it out at http://revitcity.com/gallery.php Please note that this is a user generated gallery and some users are better than others, also this site is similar to architalk only for revit, While I was an active member i never even heard archicad mentioned on the revitcity.com site. It seams like every time i search for some thing on architalk i find a tread just like this one where ppl are talking about how the like Revit more.
Learn and get certified!