Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

file not rendering

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm very new to this and I don't know if it's proper to take the space to say a big THANK YOU to those that have helped me...especially Dwight.....

Here's my problem now. I have a file that's less than 5K but when I try to render it comes up with a "not enough memory" message.

My computer: Intel CoreT 2 Duo T7500 (2.20GHz 4M L2 Cache, 800Hz) Dual Core

My graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M 256MB discrete

Operating System Win XP Pro, SP2 with Media

I can turn off several layers and get it to render. I've tried isolating layers to see if it's a specific one but that hasn't led anywhere.

Any suggestions out there?
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maybe the Polygon count of elements on that isolated layer is so high that it cannot render.
You can download the Polygon Count Goodie from Graphisoft and check with that in 3D.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the response. I don't know how to get the "polygon counter" from archicad. Perhaps you could enlighten me. In my post I meant that there doesn't seem to be one single layer that is causing the problem. I can't just turn off one particular layer and have it render correctly. I've tried that with each layer and it doesn't work.

I also tried attaching my drawing here but it doesn't take pln files.

This is a great resource....thanks to you "senior" members.
Djordje
Ace
sharon wrote:
I don't know how to get the "polygon counter" from archicad.
Help/ArchiCAD 12 Goodies

Or, if your version is International:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/goodies12/INT.html
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you. I did the polygon count and have about 300,000 mostly objects. I set all of the objects, lamps and doors to simple detail and still cannot render with all layers on.

Question...

When rendering what is the critical number which controls whether you can render and how long it takes....is it the file size, the info on the layers turned on only, the info related to the 3d view only, the total number of polygons, the polygons only on the layers that are on.....or what?

I need some rational way to determine ahead of time if my image will render before I waste the time sitting there just waiting for it to render.

I just can't figure why this project is either not rendering or taking forever to render when it does. Surely there are bigger projects than this is the real world!

Thanks
stefan
Expert
Solve the problem binary: throw away half of the entities. Try. If it works, try throwing away the other half and see if that fails.

Divide the set where it fails in two and drill down untill you find the problem.

Beware: chances are that by simply splitting the problem goes away on itself 😉
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestion. I was up at 3 am last night and decided to try something. I segregated the furniture and lites by rooms then chose a couple of rooms to render at a time and it rendered great and in about 1 minute.