Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Exporting complex profiles

Arcadia
Booster
I've been using ACv12 for about 6 months and have been constantly updating and revising my template file the whole time - clearly this is an essential part of having a good woorkflow. But when I go back to work on jobs created using an earlier template version I find it frustrating not to be able to access stuff I have on the new template. The favourites list is fine as I can export and import the faves file but material is another matter and so are complex profiles. I have just created a series of wall complex profiles in my template. Is there any way I can import these into a solo file other than opening up the template, drawing walls with all the profiles then cutting and pasting them into the project?
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
7 REPLIES 7
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
This may be only slightly more convenient...

Create a "sample" of all you custom profiles used in a wall[place little walls using your custom profiles on the floor plan] and select them all and COPY... Then SAVE AS.... MODULE FROM CLIPBOARD and put with your other template stuff...

Then you can choose FILE / FILE SPECIAL / MERGE from the menus and select your MODULE that you just made. This will stuff all the PROFILES into the new file.

Then, if you LOAD PREFERENCES, the walls with the custom profiles will load properly...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
PS... Did you know that you can OPEN the MODULE file directly? So if you get new profiles you want to ADD to your library of wall snippets, just OPEN the module file, paste it there and save. It will save as a module and you can keep any new MERGINGs up to date.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks! I hadn't thought of doing that. I'll give it a shot I think.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Arcadia wrote:
... but material is another matter and so are complex profiles. I have just created a series of wall complex profiles in my template. Is there any way I can import these into a solo file other than opening up the template, drawing walls with all the profiles then cutting and pasting them into the project?
Arcadia:

You can use the Attribute Manager to transfer Materials, Complex Profiles, and other project attributes (lines, fills, etc) between files. See the ArchiCAD help files about this feature.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Arcadia
Booster
Well I have figured out how to use the attibutes manager and it works a treat. I just open my old file, then use the attibutes manager to open my template attributes then copy anything I want across. Thanks.
schagemann
Enthusiast
just a word of caution regarding the attribute manager:

it is a very powerful yet sometimes temperamental beast, i.e. it can create a lot of problems (e.g. rogue elements / fills) if not used cautiously - as documented in various threads on this forum...

ds.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks for the tip. I only intend to use if for complex profiles and a few materials so hopefully it will be okay.