BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

How to Dimension A slanted wall?????

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a new project that has a tower room attached to it with the walls slanting in, like a light house. The problem I am running into is with dimensioning. The dims grab at the floor plan cut plane level (4'-0")which gives an odd dim. is there anyway I can force certain dims to be at 0'0" floor cut plane? I dont want to change the cut plane because then it screws up the rest of the drawing. Any suggestions on how to do this? I always try to make sure the exterior dimensions do not have any fractions thats the reason for my question. Any ideas out there????

Thanks ahead..

Paul
8 REPLIES 8
Erika Epstein
Booster
If you click on a node where you get a checkmark at the base of the wall then you should be able to place a dimension node at that point. If it is circular it is 'live' if the symbol for at the checkmark is square then it is independent i.e. not associated with an element.

If you are placing the dimension string by getting a mercedes cursor along the edge of the wall, whether at the base, cut-plane or top of the wall, the dimension string will default to the cut-plane.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
If you click on a node where you get a checkmark at the base of the wall then you should be able to place a dimension node at that point. If it is circular it is 'live' if the symbol for at the checkmark is square then it is independent i.e. not associated with an element.
Thanks Erika,
I dont quite follow what you are trying to tell me here?
Erika Epstein
Booster
To place your dimension string, place cmd/dtrl+click where you get a check mark at the base of the wall where you want your dimension string. Note you must place a minimum of two nodes to create the string.
See AC12 tutorials on the web hereto see dimensioning in action under annotating.
HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your replies, but apparently what you are trying to tell me doesnt work in V11. I know how to dimension its just this wacky wall thats throwing me. I may just have to fake it. The ground level walls are perpendicular, so at least for the second floor ill just use that one as a guide and fudge the 3rd floor. Thanks for the help tho!!

Paul
Erika Epstein
Booster
It does work in 11, that's what I tried before my earlier post. I just did this again. It works as it should when I click on the end of the curved wall (circles are made into 2 halves by archicad). If I click on a division tick mark, it defaults to the cut plane. Rather buggy behavior.

You can take the dimension string that defaulted to the cut plane and add nodes for the endpoints.
Always something.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
when I click on the end of the curved wall (circles are made into 2 halves by archicad). If I click on a division tick mark, it defaults to the cut plane. Rather buggy behavior.
Always something.
Will delve back into this next week. off till Tuesday. This is not a circular wall, but a slanted wall. I may just use the node trick if I can. Still cant make it work like you are describing tho. I am trying to dimension in plan, btw, not in 3d if that makes a difference.
anyway,, thanks for your input. Have a good weekend
Anonymous
Not applicable
what erika is saying works fine for me.. in every drawing iv done in AC..
if you float teh curser over differnt parts of the plan you will get differnet symbols.

maybe take a few screen shots of it.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
GeNOS wrote:
what erika is saying works fine for me.. in every drawing iv done in AC..
if you float teh curser over differnt parts of the plan you will get differnet symbols.

maybe take a few screen shots of it.
Easy with that curser.
We dont want you to get hurt or cursed or whatever.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!