Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Beam & column tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to be able to use the beam and column tool and have the standard AISC steel dimensions shapes menu. I don't see it when I go to the settings dialog box, except for the complex structure box which provides the shape. I want to be able to select from a list of structural members (W12x14, C8.5x11, WT3x4, etc). I can't seem to figure this out. The only way I can find them is through the object tool. I don't want to use the object tool, I want to be able to use the beam and column tool.
19 REPLIES 19
rocorona
Booster
Define the profiles you want, using the Complex Profile editor.
(I know this can retain only the proportions, NOT the sizes of profiles, so you have always to input them, or use Favorites)

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Really?

Is that sizing issue still true if you uncheck vertical and horizontal stretching?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Where is the complex profile editor?
Anonymous
Not applicable
isn't there a way to import AISC structural member sizes so I can select them from a drop down menu in the structural complex profile box?
Erika Epstein
Booster
Is there a reason you can't use the Structural Steel in the Library?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
rocorona
Booster
Dwight wrote:
Really?

Is that sizing issue still true if you uncheck vertical and horizontal stretching?
No. You are right!
The profile can have fixed sizes. In that case the input fields appears editable, but the values immediately reverts to the memorized ones.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Community Admin
iver7044 wrote:
Where is the complex profile editor?
Design\Complex Profiles\Profile Manager

You can find a lot of info about it both in the Help file of ArchiCAD and many posts here on ArchiCAD-Talk.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you load profiles? Especially in regards to structural steel members? Thanks.
Karl Ottenstein
iver7044 wrote:
How do you load profiles? Especially in regards to structural steel members? Thanks.
Someone may take the time to answer ... but from your questions, it sure seems that you and your firm need some training. If the web site is true correct that your firm has over 400 employees, I imagine they can afford it? Lots of trainers in your neck of the woods to help you learn the basics and beyond.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB