BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Advice/opinion on cadimage tools

Anonymous
Not applicable
http://www.cadimagetools.com/tools.aspx?id=28

I got the above link from another posting on this forum and I'm after some first hand knowledge about the product as I am thinking of purchasing it.
Currently I am using Lightworks in Archicad 11 and I'm about to purchase Artlantis after having used the demo version.
I have used Maxwell for about a year but the time for rendering is now too much of a problem.
I really want to have some form of displacement in Artlantis and would like to know if this could make that happen.

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
Chazz
Enthusiast
rslt wrote:
I really want to have some form of displacement in Artlantis and would like to know if this could make that happen.
Displacement
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Karl Ottenstein
rslt wrote:
Displacement is a rendering engine trick (algorithm) that allows the illusion of geometry from bitmapped images. Just as bump-mapping gives the illusion of projected surfaces in terms of generated highlights and shadows (but with flat surfaces), displacement can use a grayscale image to actually puff out a surface in an arbitrarily curvy/smooth way - letting stone, for example, on two walls meeting at a corner result in a bumpy corner. Nothing can add displacement to Artlantis until Abvent gives it to us.

The alternative, that you are looking at, is modeling ... which will add many polygons. So, it depends on what it is you want to represent...stone, brick, whatever. Post an image of your goal, and then let people knowledgeable about the Cadimage (and other) tools let you know if it is reasonable to go for it.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
owen
Newcomer
You can get some extremely convincing results out of displacement mapping without all the extra polygons of building an actual model (extra time to model + render).

The advantage of the Cadimage tools is you have all these things modeled and so they can be used in your documentation. I have not used them to do this but i can imagine if you went to the level of detail shown on their site on a large project it would quickly bog your AC file down in 3D type views. Small projects like housing should not be a problem.

They have demo's so try them out first. If you were only using them for rendering i would really recommend pushing displacement map techniques first, but as Artlantis does not have this i guess you don't have many options?
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies, maybe I am looking at or describing the wrong thing.
I will do some more research and post a better question with examples.
owen
Newcomer
OK here is a pretty good basic overview of displacement mapping for VRay (but generally applicable to any rendering engine that can use displacement mapping).

http://vray.us/vray_tutorials/vray_displacement_mapping_tutorial.shtml
cheers,

Owen Sharp

fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
owen
Newcomer
and here is another quick tutorial over at the Pixelab blog
cheers,

Owen Sharp