BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

exporting to c4d

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that I've tried just about all the various options and so far find the OBJ format to work the best. However, when I export by materials, which makes sense, ALL the AC geometry of that material comes in as ONE single polygon object in C4D. This is a major, major pain as there is no easy way to split all the polygons like the explode command in autocad...you have to do it polygon by polygon. What I would really like to see in the file transfer is all the polys of one material to come in under a single null object in C4D so that each part is easily accessed amd edited in C4D and yet comes in already "sorted" by material under the null object. This would save a lot of time. By the way, that is the way FormZ objects come in, except I used to do it by layers, but same concept.

Have I missed an option here somewhere that might work better? I did try the AC to C4D exchange plugin...and offhand can not remember the results as far as how the geometry came in.
151 REPLIES 151
Wokka
Contributor
The cheeky buggers.....
Attached is a screenshot.
left is updated page, right is the page that was loaded last night. Looks like the've pulled the plug on the Archicad issue........again
Sorry,
attached is last nights screenshot!
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
owen
Newcomer
That was a quick pull .. i checked as soon as my notification for this thread came through and it was already Vectorworks only. Wondered what on earth everyone was talking about!
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
stefan
Expert
Have been to a one-on-one C4D training today and the teacher was stupified learning about the lack of functionality in the C4D Exchange plugin. The exported C4D file is almost unusable as such.

Alas, the plug-in compatibility problems seem to be the default for ArchiCAD more and more...
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Thomas Holm
Booster
stefan wrote:
Have been to a one-on-one C4D training today and the teacher was stupified learning about the lack of functionality in the C4D Exchange plugin. The exported C4D file is almost unusable as such.

Alas, the plug-in compatibility problems seem to be the default for ArchiCAD more and more...
One definitely wonders what Nemetschek AG are up to, really?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well there was only so long I could hold back 40 Archicad Users from using V12. Now I really dont look forward to going to work as the constantly changing models are causing me grief updating my renders.
Trying to be patient but have given up. By the looks of the teaser update that wasnt, it must be pretty much there, but how much longer?!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. As graphisoft or Maxon don't want to give us back the old ".ac4d" file format, I wrote a little COFFEE tag to do nearly the same with a .3ds export. Check this thread.
Sorry in French for now and far from beeing perfect.
Cheers
Laurent.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wokka wrote:
The cheeky buggers.....
Attached is a screenshot.
left is updated page, right is the page that was loaded last night. Looks like the've pulled the plug on the Archicad issue........again
Sorry,
attached is last nights screenshot!
Did anybody manage to download this from the link, before it was pulled? Please share it. Still can't believe Graphisoft has doen this to us. The current plugin more than suck. No use at all. I have gone back to 3DS... and have to redo everytime there is a change! HELP!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did anybody manage to download this from the link, before it was pulled? Please share it. Still can't believe Graphisoft has doen this to us. The current plugin more than <b>[censored]</b>. No use at all. I have gone back to 3DS... and have to redo everytime there is a change! HELP!!
I did and it's useless. No change at all.
Check my link above to manage your .3ds exports 😉

EDIT:
As the other thread may be difficult for English-only speaking people here the link for my file

pass= frenchcinema4d

Give me a couple of days to translate the manual
owen
Newcomer

Great work .. thank you very much for sharing!

No rush on an English translation, i had a quick play with it and i think it is pretty straight forward to figure out.

The main thing (from what i can understand in the manual and a quick trial-and-error) for anyone else trying this out is to keep objects from moving you need to manually create a Null for each of the Main and Update groups, rather than just using the Group command (due to how the Groups Null origin weighting seems to work when created .. it moves around). Remember to turn off the COFFEE expression once you update ... i was deleting objects/moving out from a group and wondering why they kept reappearing (its a live update function).

i actually think this could be better than the old Exchange Add-on ... don't have the normals issue for starters, have to play with it a bit more

thanks again, this really is a great help to all of us
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely brilliant - thank you so much for doing this and sharing it with the rest of us. I was hoping that someone more intelligent than me might come up with a solution like this.

An English translation would be useful, if you have the time, as I found it took a bit of trial and error to figure out how to make it work. Very logical in the end but just one or two things I couldn't grasp at first.

Everything seems to be there that we are missing from the new (ugghhh) exporter... Materials which update and retain their mapping; Simple heirarchy allowing for easy location of poly's and tags etc etc

Not only that but it works in 10.5 - which should make some folk reasonably happy.

No doubt there are bugs as you suggest but an awesome effort first up. Thanks again.
Learn and get certified!