BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Critique of Kitchen Render from Lightworks

Arcadia
Booster
This is my second attempt at a kitchen and was done in Lightworks. It,s had a little photoshopping to finish off as well. Any comments or tips? Thanks.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
Pizza and a beer under the warm table lights and I'll want to
walk into the scene.
Arcadia
Booster
Eduardo Rolon
I would check the camera height setting, feels like the person who took the photograph is 8' tall, you can see the top of the fridge.

I would level out the horizon/target also to see if the kitchen does not look so faaaaar awaaaaay.

Needs some bright colors, either flowers, or color lights.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Eduardo, I enjoy your insightful and knowledgeable comments on this forum.
However I would only disagree with suggested camera height.
When I'm photographing kitchens I usually take a higher viewpoint otherwise
the counters get foreshortened (look like a thin line).
And you would not be able to see the pepperonis on the pizza I ordered very well either.
I think what's wrong with top of frig is that it does not have stuff on it.
Ever seen a home without stuff on top of a refer:-))
And where's the Golden Retriever laying on the floor?
Eduardo Rolon
No problem, but doesn't the LC sofa (nice leather texture BTW) for 2 persons look too big compared to the chairs at the kitchen table?

Something is off in the perspective and I can't pin point it what it is.

Either lack of reflections on the floors, lamps turned off though giving light, multiple shadows for the chairs or the cameraman is standing too far away?

Besides adding a color element/object to the image there could be something off in the composition of the shot.

Nothing major, just little tweaks.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Archadia
I really like the cabinets!
Did you make those out of walls?
Best I can tell from this shot, I like the color and texture!

What is up close as you know will appear quite large in what is effectively a flat 2d representation of 3d.
Our minds correct for this in the real world, but flat representations it does not.
I think the perspective on the dark furniture piece on the right is misbehaving if I had to throw a guess at perspective. An Archicad thing?
If only I could easily create something this good, I would.
Maybe just move in a bit with a wider angle lens? And actually raise the camera?
Shift cameraman to the right, kill the nice couch and dark table??
Add others great suggestions?

Really Nice job Archadia.
Thanks for letting my photography eye go wild:-))
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks for the comments. I put in the sofa as otherwise I ended up with a boring stretch of floor tiles. It looks larger because the perspective is correct and it is closer. I don't find it unusual. I think the camera hieght is about 1.7m from memory (fridges are about 1.7 high) which is about right.

If you go in closer and use a wider angle of view you get more vertical distortion.

Cabinets are made using objects from 3dedge library (www.3dedge.com.au).

Some more objects like flowers would be nice but I have limited objects available at the moment in my library and I am disinclined to buy more at the moment so making do with what I've got.

I was actually pretty pleased with the leather texture too. Although you can't see much of it at this res.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, vertical distortion.
Nasty little problem.
Guess that's why I still use a Linholf 4x5 with perspective control,(old school).
You can take you image into Photoshop and do the correction there.
Again, I think you did a great job!
Just getting carried away, (again).
Take care.
Good luck.
Arcadia
Booster
Yes a 4x5 works great for interiors if you can afford the cost of film stock. I certainly have used photoshop to straighten perspective in the past but you alway end up having to crop the image to square it off again so you need plenty of spare room on the edges.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Arcadia wrote:
Also you are viewing a small low-res pic. The full size pic does look better and slightly warmer. However I will try adding a bit of warmth to it - maybe by using a warming filter in PS. I've thought about buying Dwights book but its not cheap and I've spent $20k on my business this year so I've drawn a line and said no more for a while. I'm sure I will get more out of the book if I can learn as much as possible before I get it anyway. Thanks for the comments.
You're missing my point. I have no problem with the style of the kitchen. But a warming PS filter doesn't cut it. And the low res has nothing to do about it either.

Dwight's book about Lightworks in Archicad costs less than you'd charge for two billable hours. You'd get that back in no time, if you follow the advice there.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!