BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to I trim/stretch a skylight to fit the edge of a roof?

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do I edit a skylight so it fits and alines to the very edge of the roof. The edge of the roof is a different angle to the side of the skylight so I cannot simply move the skylight or increase its size.

The attachement shows where the skylight is now and where I would like the skylight to be shaped to.
4 REPLIES 4
Thomas Holm
Booster
If the skylight object you have is not stretchable (that depends on how it's programmed) you'll have to search for another or build (model) the skylight yourself. Use the roof tool for frame parts and glass, if you intend to build it in place. You should probably group the parts so you can move them together.
You might also want to save them as a module (which you can link t, merge or copy from), or as an object that will be placeable with the object tool. You may also program it (in GDL) to behave like a skylight object (for the skylight tool) so you won't need to cut the roof holes separately for every skylight.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
The first thing a lot of people on here will ask it what version of archicad and your machine specs. It is helpful to know this info when answering your question...

How I would build this depends on what the desired outcome is...

If I wasn't too concerned with how it is detailed because it is mostly for presentation or rendering purposes I would not use the skylight library part at all. I would make a hole in the roof the shape I want. Then I would make another roof just inside and thicker than that opening with another opening inside it to create the frame and a third piece of roof for the glass...

If you want better detailing I think I would start and finish the same way but use a tool like profiler to create the frame. You could get even more detailed if with more profiler shapes...

If you want something that will show up on a schedule, I'm sorry but I don't have an answer for that...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder if the curtainwall tool tilted over over would work for this situation? It wouldn't cut its own hole automatically so you would have to manually add that, but you would have better control over the glazing bars and other individual members.

It's just a thought, I haven't tried it!
Erika Epstein
Booster
There is a subtype of skylight
Model element>Opening>roof opening> Skylight.
Never having tried a custom skylight before, I made several attempts just now but can't get my skylight to automatically parallel the roof angle, it persists opposite. No, I didn't try replacing the slope angle with gs_roof_angle [or whatever the standard variable is]. I would have thought that the subtype would take care of this.

There is probably a simple set of steps to successfully create a skylight.
Perhaps someone else, Andrew of the new GDL handbook,will know how to make it work?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!