BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Problems with Video Display on a new Aluminum iMac

drh64
Contributor
I have had this happen on two different IMacs and only when we run AC 11.

It seems to be triggered by Itunes running at the same time.

Has anyone else witnessed this before? Any suggestions?

http://www.connect-arch.com/graphics-problem/scatter.mov
183 REPLIES 183
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Just announced
Apple updates firmware for iMacs with Radeon 4850 graphics. "fixes intermittent system freeze issues..."

Maybe this will help?
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Thomas Holm
Booster
Still nothing for the ATI X1600 etc. I think they've given up. Not enough complaints, or it's an impossibly expensive hardware issue. Seems the recommendation is to avoid ATI at all times!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Thomas wrote:
Still nothing for the ATI X1600 etc. I think they've given up. Not enough complaints, or it's an impossibly expensive hardware issue. Seems the recommendation is to avoid ATI at all times!
Well, here's an interesting twist to the whole saga - a group of laptop owners (including Mac users) are suing Nvidia over problems with their graphics cards. Read more here.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Thomas Holm
Booster
Yes, I read about that. But the Nvidia issue appeared after the ATI issue (2006/2007 for laptops, still there in 2008 MacPros) that started this thread. Not much hope left, I think. I'd say, if it's fixable by software, I think Apple would have done it by now. So I guess it's not. I have no energy to sue.
Thomas Holm
Booster
The OSX 10.5.7 update is out. I haven't tried it yet, but sorry to say, there is no mention of the old ATI issues. Guess we'll have to live with them

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3397
Eduardo Rolon
You might want to read this,

macworld
…and lots of changes to audio and video (both ATI and Nvidia) drivers.
there might be some hope that 10.5.7 contains a fix.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
ejrolon wrote:
You might want to read this,

macworld
...and also three (so far) articles here:
http://www.macfixit.com/
which report enough problems with this 10.5.7 update to convince me to put off downloading it for at least a few more days...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Eduardo Rolon
Karl,

I update a iMac, Macbook Pro and Mac Pro. The only problem I had was with the spinning blue screen on the MAc Pro which was the only one that I did not update using Software Update. After restarting I reinstalled the combo update (just in case) and the process worked fine the second time.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Eduardo... that's reassuring. 🙂

K
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
ejrolon wrote:
You might want to read this, macworld
…and lots of changes to audio and video (both ATI and Nvidia) drivers.
there might be some hope that 10.5.7 contains a fix.
Thanks, Eduardo, I did the mistake of relying on Apple's release notes. Let's hope for the best. (Like Karl, I usually put off updating for a few days until the heavy bugs have been reported on Macfixit and such. The prize goes to the guy who updated his server remotely, using Timbuktu over the Atlantic, and found it was down afterwards. Surprise? )
Learn and get certified!