Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

details from 1 file to another? - best way?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Whats the best way of getting some standard details fron 1 archicad file / project to the other? (without too much work!)

Thanks in advance!
28 REPLIES 28
Eduardo Rolon
copy, paste?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
thats the long winded option I was trying to avoid.

Would be cool if options manager could transfer details and the like.

Thanks anyway.
Eduardo Rolon
sorry for not guessing that copy paste was not an option

publish to pmk and link them or import them? You could manage them like you manage project specific libraries.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Rick Thompson
Expert
If the details are saved as a view, you can import them via Edit>External Contents.. or.. see screen shot. I have a pln just for details. I go to the drop down menu and view the other pln from there. Then you just drag and drop the details on the layout. They are normally linked and auto update, so set those however you prefer. This way allows you to have standard details and should you need to make a correction, then all uses are updated, unless you break the hot link.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow Rick that's a great idea!
I have separate.pln for creation and storage of my details, but it had never occurred to me to link it for auto updates.
Thanks!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't let them Auto-update (make it a manual option). Otherwise it could play merry h*ll with a set of contract documents.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I know I'll catch crap for this, but I just recently used the PUBLISH to PMK version and really like(d) it....

Fantastic... As these are COOKIE CUTTER details anyway, they don't need ONGOING updating (which I could easily do by re-publishing)... The LINK to PMK is at least 1000x quicker than having to open up that freakin linked PLN...

So all was well and good, EXCEPT almost every time I open up my HOST file, it loses the link to the PMK's ? I am still trying to diagnose. It EMBEDS the file and does not maintain the reference to the PMK.

I am sure I'm missing something easy (I usually do).... but I haven't had the time to dig in and find it.

Otherwise, a typical PMK detail is about 10k And PUBLISHING means I can pick and choose which of the cookie cutter details get PMK'd thereby reducing my detail "file" from 1000's to only a hundred or so. They publish with a UNIQUE DETAIL ID so they're easy to back check....
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
vfrontiers wrote:
I know I'll catch crap for this, but I just recently used the PUBLISH to PMK version and really like(d) it....

Fantastic... As these are COOKIE CUTTER details anyway, they don't need ONGOING updating (which I could easily do by re-publishing)... The LINK to PMK is at least 1000x quicker than having to open up that freakin linked PLN...

So all was well and good, EXCEPT almost every time I open up my HOST file, it loses the link to the PMK's ? I am still trying to diagnose. It EMBEDS the file and does not maintain the reference to the PMK.

I am sure I'm missing something easy (I usually do).... but I haven't had the time to dig in and find it.

Otherwise, a typical PMK detail is about 10k And PUBLISHING means I can pick and choose which of the cookie cutter details get PMK'd thereby reducing my detail "file" from 1000's to only a hundred or so. They publish with a UNIQUE DETAIL ID so they're easy to back check....
Hi Duane,
I think you are not alone.
Probably PMK was brought back in AC12 because there was a great demand for it from users.
PMK has the great advantage that it does not update if you do not update it, which is sometimes just what users want (like in archiving and stuff).
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Wokka
Contributor
I would usually just hotlink them as a module (1 storey per detail) and place them on an independant detail .Very quick to update but 2D data only. If you need 3D add a storey for details. That way all my details are in 1 pln file and a quick update of 1 hotlinked pln does the job.
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render