BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Views going blank

Anonymous
Not applicable
this has been happening quite a bit to me lately and cant work out why.
I set up a perspective view of my model, save the view into my view map ad a generic perspective, then place that/them on the cover sheet of my layout set and happy days.

But sometimes when I open a drawing up to print some copys, every so often then views have gone blank.. jump in the view map to look at them and there blank in there aswell.. as if the camera has been moved and resaved.. but I cant have done this by accident cos it will happen to ALL perspective views, not just one…???????

not to bad an issue, but it get really anoying having to redoe 4-6 perpevtives and re place them on the layout etc..
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
this (defining 3d views and placing on layouts) was one of the most amazingly useful and intuitive enhancements to my workflow. Having these live, quickly defined and updateable snapshots of the project evolve almost became a new way for me to navigate my project files.

Alas, soo many beautiful page layouts have turned to.. blank white space. So frustrating, and so much wasted time.

I believe that the bug/error resetting the viewpoints on saved views has something to do with loading updated library parts...

just a hunch but I swear I've killed whole drawing packages, that were heavily making use of this wonderful feature, by updating my door or window parts. it specially seems vulnerable when updating used library parts in a separate ArchiCAD instance, then reloading the libraries, but it still happens now I've stopped doing that.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Ian wrote:
I believe that the bug/error resetting the viewpoints on saved views has something to do with loading updated library parts..
Interesting theory. I've never noticed a correlation but have never looked either. Still, it is a deal killer and I will continue with my fly through workaround until they:
  • Acknowledge the problem
    Fix the problem
Your post underscores the issue with a feature like this. It is absolutely worse to have the buggy feature in the software than have no such feature at all because it invites users to waste a huge amount of time and also to look like a schmuck right before deadlines. Thanks GS!
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
We have recently found a bug where:
- If your project is located far from the global origin point (farther than 2 km)
- If you open the file from file recovery (e.g. after a crash)

then the views can go way off on layouts, causing empty drawings. I hope (although can't be sure) that this is the same problem you have. If so, the solution will be in the next hotfix.

Greg
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Chazz
Enthusiast
gkmethy wrote:
the views can go way off on layouts, causing empty drawings...
But a "Fit Frame to Drawing" would fix this condition, wouldn't it?

I've never been able to fix it so simply. Everything just needs to be re-set up (new view, view placed on layout etc)
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chazz - 'fit frame to drawing' does not help me either, as the 3d view is literally blank (zoom extents does nothing) until you go and do something, anything, to adjust the camera postiion using the perspective or parallel projection settings.

to preserve all my layer, pen, model view, partial structure view.. even sun setttings, i will sometimes open one of these dead views and reposition the camera to where it was, then resave. saves a little time but very frustrating, specially the 3rd 4th or 5th time through.

gkmethy - the furthest extent of my model is 175meters from the origin. I also get this problem on much smaller buildings / projects that are on top of the origin.

I do however crash fairly often and make use of the file recovery, so that is a possibility. I have actually turned off autosave on a really big project as the file save time was killing me. Running two instances of ArchiCAD at once really seems to bollucks up the autosave anyways... that it seemed was often the point I would crash.

AND 'YEAH' FOR A HOTFIX TO FIX THIS... HOT... ISSUE
emwatson
Participant
Hi,

I am experiencing this same issue where saved perspective views have gone blank on my layout page. When I open the perspective in the 3D window it is showing up correctly without issue. It could be as a result of updating library parts. Has anyone found a solution to the issue? I have tried saving new views from the 3D window and placing them afresh on the layout page but they too come up blank. So frustrating!

Thanks,
AC24 Australia • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | 16 gb ram • OSX10.14.3
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
emwatson wrote:
Hi,

I am experiencing this same issue where saved perspective views have gone blank on my layout page. When I open the perspective in the 3D window it is showing up correctly without issue. It could be as a result of updating library parts. Has anyone found a solution to the issue? I have tried saving new views from the 3D window and placing them afresh on the layout page but they too come up blank. So frustrating!

Thanks,
Hello,

Thank you very much for the report and I am sorry about the experience!

I have never seen this issue with AC24 before - assuming that this is the version you are using based on your signature. I can think of certain scenarios on top of my mind: the view has a wrong layer combination, making all elements invisible in layout; renovation filter can also hide elements, etc...

If this does not apply to you, I may need to have the file for in-house testing. Would it be possible for you to share it? Please let me know if you need a secure place to upload the file also!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Could be something with the graphic-card driver. As teacher, i saw several similar black screens on the windows-Laptops of "my children". Sometimes, it was to solve with an older graphic-card driver, sometimes with a newer one - but it can be difficult to install an older driver over a newer one. Mostly it appeared on Lenovo-Laptops with builtin Intel and Nvidia-cards.
Sometimes it was to be (not really) solved with turning 3D from openGL to the internal engine ... so they could work on..
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
emwatson
Participant
Thanks for your response. I have been working on a different project for a few weeks and strangely when I re-opened the problematic file where the layouts went blank, all of the views have reappeared! Maybe it was some bug. Thanks for time, if it happens again I will reply here and send the 3D model across for review.

Cheers,
AC24 Australia • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | 16 gb ram • OSX10.14.3
hi,
that happens to us too - it is getting annoying.
Any way to send some sort of bug report without having a bug report?
thanks!
BR
AC24 4018 INT, Win10, Quadro P2000, Xeon, BIMCloud
Learn and get certified!