BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What are new tools for ARCHICAD 13?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello 🙂
I was wondering if we maybe know what new tools we can expect with the new version of Archicad?
I finaly hope for 3D composite structure layers to be visible, also their 2D representation to be automaticly adjusted to the layer thickness (eg. thermal insulation).
Slab layers and their intersection with wall layers...
Also maybe while defining wall composite layers we can also define each layer height.
Better and more detailed quantity take-off is a must.
221 REPLIES 221
owen
Newcomer
bit of a discussion about 64bits over here

Users of high-end applications such as rendering and media production will have the most to gain .. and will probably be the only ones who will really notice the difference (for a while at least). It could all be a bit of an anti-climax for many (including us AC users) when they realise their 32bit applications really can't make much more use of the system resources than they already can. The applications need to be written for 64bits. Cinema4D R11 is now 64bit Mac compatible so i am very interested to see how it goes when Snow Leopard arrives and i get a less portable machine to play with. I imagine Apples Pro apps will be 64bit pretty quickly too (Final Cut, etc).

But AC ... i am resigned to our fate, we are in the hands of the GS developers. Maybe we will have a 64bit AC15 and be free of the 4GB RAM limit. I really do think this will make a huge difference to large project file handling.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
owen
Newcomer
Thomas wrote:
I'd guess it's more efficient to optimize the multi-core and 64-bit CPU usage. And that would enhance both platforms.
Definately .. but to do this on the Mac platform (under Snow Leopard) pretty sure you would end up supporting OpenCL anyway .. so we get everything!
Thomas wrote:
If you want to really make a difference in this area, for better performance and easier development, I'd say convince Apple to adopt DirectX in MacOSX! This isn't as far-fetched as it may seem. Many game developers would be happy, and that would add to Apple's revenue as well as Microsoft's!
I think we both know what the chances are of Apple chosing a closed MS system over an open one (or their own closed one).

DirectX v OpenGL seems to be a bit like the processor wars were .. one gets in front, then the other. DirectX originally wasn't up to OpenGL - recent versions may have been better (at the expense of cross-platform compatibility) but many people seem to think the latest versions of OpenGL are again better than DirectX. I don't think we will see a clear winner and i would prefer to stick with a cross-platform solution. Microsoft could have worked with OpenGL to improve it but instead they do what they do.

Cross-platform compatibility has never been an issue for Autodesk in general so if DirectX offered performance gains it made sense for them to do it.

AC does however and so i really don't know why AC doesn't just use OpenGL only (unless there are issues on Win) and the developers can put the now-free DirectX time to better use on cross-platform features
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Thomas wrote:
I'd say convince Apple to adopt DirectX in MacOSX! This isn't as far-fetched as it may seem. Many game developers would be happy, and that would add to Apple's revenue as well as Microsoft's!
Virtually impossible. DirectX is a proprietary technology, so Microsoft would have to develop and license it for platforms other than Windows. Based on past experience, they only do this to establish a new technology, as we see with SilverLight, or to placate anti-trust authorities. You can guarantee they will drop support for platforms other than Windows as soon as they feel they have established a strong hold on the market (or at least make sure other platforms are inferior or not 100% compatible).

Conversely, OpenGL is a genuine standard, i.e. published in the open domain with agreement between all parties on how the standard will work. The risk in using DirectX for games developers is small, because games will have a relatively short lifetime. For ongoing development (like ArchiCAD) relying on cross-platform technology from Microsoft is a huge risk.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Thomas Holm
Booster
Ralph wrote:
Virtually impossible. DirectX is a proprietary technology, so Microsoft would have to develop and license it for platforms other than Windows. Based on past experience, they only do this to establish a new technology, as we see with SilverLight, or to placate anti-trust authorities. You can guarantee they will drop support for platforms other than Windows as soon as they feel they have established a strong hold on the market (or at least make sure other platforms are inferior or not 100% compatible).
Ralph, I'm aware of this. I'm just saying you can't be sure, business reality isn't constant. Apple has licensed Microsoft's Exchange server now, only a few thought that would happen before. And a few years ago, only the worst conspiracy theorists of us realized that Apple was keeping an Intel OSX version under wraps, to throw at us when needed
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Thomas wrote:
Apple has licensed Microsoft's Exchange server now, only a few thought that would happen before.
This is only a by-product of an EU directive forcing Microsoft to publish their server specs, i.e. anti-trust measures forced them to do it. There's plenty of reports in this, I found just one example here.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Thomas Holm
Booster
OK OK. I'm no fan of Microsoft. There is a reason we have only used Macs in our office, all the time since our first 512K Macs in 1985. So you don't need to convince me about Microsoft's nature.

I still think Graphisoft has to make sound decisions business-wise, to survive in the market. To go OpenGL only, when it's obvious that OpenGL has problems on the Windows platform, would be counter-productive.

To me, it's obvious that OpenGL has had issues on the Mac too. But I'm safely assured that should Apple consider swapping graphics display software, it would never again lock itself into a dependance on Microsoft. Mr Jobs or his followers simply wouldn't. So if they've considered DirectX, they'd do it only on acceptable terms. This time, they are in a position that's strong enough.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
owen
Newcomer
OpenGL is not without its issues .. but what software technology isn't. That said i think the bulk of the problems with it on the Windows platform are a result of MS business decisions (DirectX) and not inherent problems with OpenGL.

this (taken from the AUGI forums) just about sums it up:

"Microsoft doesn't like OpenGL because they want more of a lock on the gaming market. So they have thrown their weight behind DirectX, making it both run better as well as be easier to program for on Windows. Autodesk, always being a close partner with Microsoft, is following suit it appears..."

and this from Autodesk:

"AutoCAD 2008 also delivers exceptional graphics performance because it uses Direct3D®, Microsoft’s graphics API. In contrast, CAD software from other providers, particularly those that rely on the OpenGL graphics API may experience graphics degradation when run on Windows Vista."

so sounds like MS are not exactly trying to have OpenGL run properly on Windows .. not because it has problems, but because they want control.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
so sounds like MS are not exactly trying to have OpenGL run properly on Windows .. not because it has problems, but because they want control.
Yep, I reckon this is the case. It is so easy to proclaim that we 'really do support' OGL but in fact MS 'just allows' to run it on Win. Given the nature of this technology it has to have an attention of more than an ordinary application....

Anyway talks that DX is about to bury OPG have been here for at least a decade. Somehow MS got a very blunt shovel
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
whomever in the earlier post talked about teamwork - that is what 13 is about...so I've heard

so don't bank on any of that modelling or rendering engine talk

they are just continuing to build on an increasingly frail foundation....

and as we are all in the building game, we should know what that means....
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
teamwork - that is what 13 is about...so I've heard
finally good news!!!! current TW sucks...
::rk
Learn and get certified!