Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

64 BIT PROCESSING

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have run into several problems as a result of ArchiCAD's 32 bit programming limitations. I have 8GB of ram and can only use 2GB of it for ArchiCAD. Some of the large urban planning projects are just to big for the software to handle. I was hoping the new ArchiCAD 11 would finally be a 64 bit program. I think the result of switching the software to 64 bit is so apparent it is unquestionable.

1. It increases the ram and model handling capabilities to an almost limitless level

2. It will allow those of us who have 64 bit machines to fully utilize the resources at hand.

3. You only have to switch the software once. It will be hard and probably costly to reprogram the software but it will be worth it.
25 REPLIES 25
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
owen wrote:
What is AC15 not pessimistic enough for you? I guess i can make some assumptions from this as to what Graphisoft has NOT migrated to yet
No - don't make any assumptions. I'm only saying 64-bit is not to be taken lightly, and the reasons can be more complex than many think.
Ralph Wessel BArch
owen
Newcomer
Thomas wrote:
Remember, Vista 64 isn't very wide-spread yet, so they will have to support 32-bit WindowsXP, which is 8 years or something old, for some additional time to come.
Yes but mainly because Vista has been such a disaster (partly in perception only) no-one wanted to upgrade. Windows 7 is apparently really, really good ... it was even called the best version of Windows ever on one of my regular tech podcasts. So maybe we will see a mass migration to 64bit OSes sooner than we think.

I'm actually downloading the RC now to test out on my Bootcamp partition .. RC is valid until June 2010 which is nice to see.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
owen
Newcomer
This of course means 64bits will also mean a minimum of OS 10.5 in order to access 64bit Cocoa. I don't think this is really a problem however as Mac users generally update to the latest OS pretty quickly (unlike Windows).
cheers,

Owen Sharp

KeesW
Advocate
We are running Windows 7 64 bit on a partition of one of our computers and it appears to be running AC12 without any problems. I'll post any issues on this list.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
owen
Newcomer
Excellent .. was just about to test that myself.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Wokka
Contributor
Interesting topic and I'm about to upgrade hardware and looking at 64 at the same time...
Let us know how it goes.
Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render