BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Thinking Revit vs ArchiCAD? Stick this thread!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some of you are aware of the noise coming from the Revit user community regarding the new release and how many users are frustrated that long-standing wishes were not met, and instead we got a half-baked UI that might work out in the end, but was not asked for.

A widely respected Revit user and implementor (see http://architechure.blogspot.com) who worked for Revit pre and post Autodesk buyout has blogged clearly and humourously about the shortcomings of the new release.

And now he's being pushed out by Autodesk -- he's being told that he can't speak at Autodesk University, the annual educational conference held in Las Vegas. His sessions are a gold mine to Revit users, and he's become a mentor to many of us in our quest to master the software.

But he didn't toe the company line, so he's gone.

Do you folks want to use software from a company that behaves more like a cult than a software vendor?

Long live ArchiCAD.
56 REPLIES 56
NandoMogollon
Advocate
owen wrote:
sdb wrote:
Most Architect's are more visual thinkers, so to expect them to suddenly want (or even be remotely interested) to write some code is a big ask. So they have to get people like me (& many others) to build content for them. Which users don't really like to pay for & i agree they shouldn't really have to.
no GUI is a big turn-off for most people - particularly architects. I like a bit of math and always found figuring out an efficient way to do things in GDL interesting, but sometimes people just want to make something relatively simple and make it quickly. GDL isn't exactly good for this.

Families sound like they are much easier to get into at the expense of being not as powerful as GDL - however i think this is really just a result of execution of the Families system and not an intrinsic problem of creating a GUI for object coding.

Anyway .. it seems GS has no intention of improving GDL but is moving towards system-based tools such as the Curtain Wall. On reflection I'm beginning to agree with the arguments people have made for this approach, but i still think they need to be customizable via GDL .. and in a user-friendly way. A simple example would be the Complex Profile manager .. how hard would it have been to write the Profile Manager to save those Fill-based drawings of profiles as tiny GDL scripts which could then be called upon by other scripts - rather than 'dumb' project attributes? I think that would have been very, very useful - being able to call parametric profiles into walls, beams, curtain wall elements etc. That would be a graphical GDL editor at its most basic level.

As for people not having to pay for ANY 3rd party content i don't think that is realistic (nor desirable from both our perspectives i am sure ) - GS cannot account for everyones needs but basic stuff like a working D&W builder, stairs etc should be part of the AC core. A decent object library should also be part of AC - perhaps GS could license the best 3rd party content available for inclusion with each new release. This would actually be a pretty good incentive for content creators to come up with good objects if they knew there was a chance GS would license them for worldwide distribution.
Please, Please, Someone from GS... say something about it.
We, the users, the average user (>70%). We claim to know what is the trend AC will follow.
This could be the most important issue on the architectural BIM software market today.
MEP is good but tricky, VBE is great, ECO-Designer sounds like a good idea, but expanding the platform is not everything.
As an average user, I would like to see an easy to use GDL visual application (included in AC), than a new GS Structure-Design software.

Best Regards

Nando
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
TomWaltz
Participant
I've long thought that the ultimate Creation Tool would have the flexibility and ease of creation that Revit Families have, but allow the back end access like GDL for more extensive intelligence and more flexible options (like pre-defined drop downs and deeply nested if/then loops).

The Family Editor is really nice for newer users to create simple parametric objects. A really detailed tutorial aimed at the average user helps, too.
Tom Waltz
TomWaltz
Participant
metanoia wrote:
...means if you can program well, you can have a career in any field you want
as long as you live in a place that you can work for $2 an hour 😉
Tom Waltz
outsourcing is the coming thing:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/more_american_workers_outsourcing?utm_source=videoembed

and its $2.22 an hour....
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually:
0.56/day
How do I hire this guy?

Funny thing at the very end of that clip:
"Did you know the meth epidemic is
hitting the worthless Americans the hardest?
Now that's a bummer, yeh?
Anonymous
Not applicable
NandoMogollon wrote:
Please, Please, Someone from GS... say something about it.
We, the users, the average user (>70%). We claim to know what is the trend AC will follow.
This could be the most important issue on the architectural BIM software market today.
MEP is good but tricky, VBE is great, ECO-Designer sounds like a good idea, but expanding the platform is not everything.
As an average user, I would like to see an easy to use GDL visual application (included in AC), than a new GS Structure-Design software.
Why don't they built something that works in the same way as Adobe Dreamweaver? where you can flick between design mode & source mode. Hence the average users can easily build something & the advanced user can still change the code.

haha yes how do we hire them?
Anonymous
Not applicable
You know, it has occurred to me that all my winning about wanting more
auto this, auto that, that that just might auto-out me/us someday.
What da ya dink?
Someday when the boss/client/56cent guy can use, say, voice commands to control the vectors that be, will the world need more or less of us?
Even if THEY don't have YOUR wonderful creative mind.
The residential market IS at risk.
But what the hell, I still want more auto-this, auto-that.
(Oh well, just a wayward Sunday thought).
owen
Newcomer
just another little reminder from someone on the other side that the grass is not always greener:

A Letter to Autodesk
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes v interesting. i think it's safe to say that we are all in the same boat.
Dwight
Newcomer
Similar boats. According to those guys, their boat has a bigger hole in it.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!