BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Irregular walls?

Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all, I apologise if this is a question that has been asked a million times. I've tried to have a play about myself to no avail!

I would like to make a wall similar to the one in the attached jpeg, as though it has been built on a hill but I'm not sure how to go about it.

If the jpeg is unclear, what I would like is a wall that starts on the home story, but slants upwards to a height of about 2 metres.

Could anybody advise how I would achieve this?
9 REPLIES 9
Eduardo Rolon
You would create a Wall to the maximum height and 2 roofs that define the angle. Then you can either use the 'Trim to Roof' command to cut the wall or use 'Solid Element Operations' (subtraction with upwards and downwards extrusion) and then move the roofs to a 'Off' layer. Either way you will have to cut the wall first on one side then on the other.

For 'Trim to Roof' and 'Solid Element Operations' you can read up on the user manual under Help.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much!

I will crack on with that now, we've been shown a little on solid operations in uni.
Dwight
Newcomer
It is a toss-up as to whether this is easier or not, but it does deliver a potentially more complex section.

Use a complex profile in a beam - beams tilt.

The problem is that when tilting a beam, the section also tilts - the wall gets too large to match adjacent horizontal walls.

The answer is to stretch the wall upward. You design the wall to its minimum height and stretch it up to match taller,tilted parts.
beam as sloping wall.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your thorough response.. but I think that's a bit beyond me haha. I basically just needed a simple, sloped glass wall and thankfully I've figured it out now!

However, would you happen to know if it's possible to align railings to a sloped walkway?
Eduardo Rolon
Railings have an angle setting under the parameters tab.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Dwight
Newcomer
Sigh.

This would be the same answer as I gave before, but it is beyond you haha.

The whole idea is to gang up the functions you can so they act in concert.
Dwight Atkinson
Eduardo Rolon
Dwight, she's a second year student, don't get discouraged.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Dwight
Newcomer
For anyone who cottons to the cumbersome and obsolete trimwithroofs method, the complex profile solution should be like sun at the bottom of a mine shaft while surrounded by singing cherubs bringing apple pie and ice cream.

So few use the complex profile. I blame it on Corbu.

"The plan is the generator."

If Corbu was an Archicad operative today, he would say

"The section is the generator."
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry for any frustration caused. Yes, complex profiles are beyond me. I didn't realise that you can set an inclination angle on the objects so I did that instead.

Thank you for help and patience, anyway.
Learn and get certified!