Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

texture problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi my name is kyle,

i've recently started using archicad, and i've been thrown in the deep end...I need help! i need a thatch texture that looks good! i've downloaded a few examples but nothing that looks decent. i've also started making my own textures from pics etc, I downloaded a pdf that has instructions on how to create seamless textures but its only worth the time i spend on it if the texture is simple. in other words when it comes to complex textures it takes a long time to sort out. any suggestions on how to make my own textures work? and the thatch texture i need to use on a dome, any suggestions there?

will appreciate any help! thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
PB
Advocate
Kyle,

I've dropped you a private message: Get in touch & I'll send a couple of seamless textures across.

Kind regards
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Firstly, thanks to PB for stepping in to help!

Making a thatch texture is probably the easiest type of texture to make as it is fairly simple and random, and so it is a good example to start to learn with.

For future reference, when extracting a portion of an image from a photo, in Photoshop use 'Filter' > 'Others' > 'Offset' to shift the image over so you can see the opposite edges of the texture next to each other. Make use of the clone tool to sample multiple small areas of texture each side to hide the join. It's all fairly easy to do.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Firstly, thanks to PB for stepping in to help!

Making a thatch texture is probably the easiest type of texture to make as it is fairly simple and random, and so it is a good example to start to learn with.

For future reference, when extracting a portion of an image from a photo, in Photoshop use 'Filter' > 'Others' > 'Offset' to shift the image over so you can see the opposite edges of the texture next to each other. Make use of the clone tool to sample multiple small areas of texture each side to hide the join. It's all fairly easy to do.

Hope that helps, good luck!
thanks peter, this is what the pdf says, perhaps i just need more practice:) i just find that either way i do it i dont get the desired effect...
Anonymous
Not applicable
kylemotto wrote:
thanks peter, this is what the pdf says, perhaps i just need more practice:) i just find that either way i do it i dont get the desired effect...
No problem! If you want, post the original image up and I'm sure someone will take a look at it and give you some advice about the best way to do it.