Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

beam tool outlines settings

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anyone else finding that the overhead line pen does what the uncut line pen should be doing, and vice versa? I should be able to have a lighter dashed line as an overhead beam in plan, but a heavier solid line for the beam in elevation. However the overhead line pen controls both and the uncut line has no effect. Is this a glitch that can be fixed?
9 REPLIES 9
Erika Epstein
Booster
No problem here. Why don't you post a screen shot of your settings.
Also, please add your OS and archicad version to your signature.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
here's my settings, any thoughts?
beam settings.png
KeesW
Advocate
Yes, I also have problems with the beam tool. Creating a beam on the first floor should, if I select the 'show on home and floor below' option, show it dashed on the ground floor immediately below. It doesn't work - the beam shows with a solid line on the floor below and I can't find a combination that shows it otherwise.

Creating a small slab alongside the beam, and selecting the same options, creates a dashed lined slab on the floor below. That is how I want my beam to look.

Seems like a bug to me. If so, it is not a new one because I remember having the same trouble with previous versions of ArchiCad.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Erika Epstein
Booster
If you choose 'overhead all' as the floor plan display option, it will show dashed on that floor and solid for s/e.
Beam display.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks, that helps. but mostly my problem is not dashed vs. solid, but rather being able to have a 1pt heavier line in s/e and a different .25pt pen in plan. unfortunately using the "overhead all" setting doesn't help this.
KeesW
Advocate
Yes Erika, I know that. However, I want it shown solid on the home storey, and with dashed lines on the floor below. Selecting what you suggest shows it with dashed lines on home story also. It still works for slabs and used to work for beams - now it does not.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika (or anyone who might know),
Have a chance to check this "glitch"? Is there a work environment setting or model view setting i'm missing that would solve this uncut vs. overhead line setting?

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
mj,

(Might be a late answer)I guess for time being the best workaround is to create a duplicate of your current pen set , change that 1 pen in the "new set" and assign it to your drawings.
Erika Epstein
Booster
You have to work around the bug. Set the linetype to dashed and then you can cover it with a line or fill with a solid line.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System